1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mayas, Oct 12, 2013.

1. mayas

mayas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    i was told that it is easy for baby chicks to die, is that true? if so what are the ways so i can avoid them as much as possible

2. ashlee clarke

ashlee clarke Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    Maclean
    Yes it is true and give them chicken crumbles for a big boost and that helped them to not get infections and die little chivkens can die from infection

3. ashlee clarke

Oct 11, 2013
    Maclean
    Chickens I ment

4. mayas

mayas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    can they die from the cold or flipping over and unable to get up, or is that just what i heard?

5. ashlee clarke

Oct 11, 2013
    Maclean
    Yeah put them in a box with a light in the box with them to keep them warm

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Mayas, baby chicks need food, water, protection from predators, protection from the weather, and a heat source. The major hatcheries usually give good detailed instructions and recommendations on this. Here are a couple.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page14.html

http://www.idealpoultry.com/care.html

Protection from the weather includes keeping breezes from hitting them and keeping rain off of them. The area they stay in needs to be kept dry.

For heat, you should heat one part of their area to give them a place to go to so they can warm up but let other area cool off some. That way they can find their own comfort zone. Watch their behavior. They will probably sleep pretty close to the heat source but when they are awake they should be scattered all over the brooder. If they crowd close to the heat source when they are awake, it is too cold. If they are as far from the heat source as they can get, they are too warm.

Any baby animal needs care, but chickens are among the easiest to care for. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  7. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Definitely need heat or they WILL die .AND for sure water and Medicated Starter Crumbles (if you don't want them to get sick).....
    Turning over? wont kill them usually they may do that the first few hours and thats it.If longer they may have an internal problem and might die from itToo weak to stand
    .NO broody....Keep In a large cardboard box with a 60 watt bulb in one end so they can get heat or get away from it both.. A thermometer is a good idea to check They dont do well if they are too cool .
    Will just stand around.
    Warm they are happy and peeping.. running around

Water bowl for a few days should have glass beads in it so they cant drowned..

Keep inside until they get all their feathers about 5 weeks then slowly acclimate to outside unles its pretty warm out.

If you have a broody then they can go under her feathers in the coop if its not too cold at night (40 outside )and be fine but days at 3-4 days she will want to take them outside but i would wait until the day warms up before letting them all out.
    Cold weather yes a heat lamp in the corner of the coop so they can warm if needed
    Incubator chicks they say 95-99 degrees first week as they cant control their body temp the first week...then down 5 degrees each week until its room temp.

I have read here ppl with broodys have let the m all out in cold weather and they just run under Moms feathers now and then ...
    I like it better to let mine stay in until the day warms to 75 and if lower a heat lamp inside..

Weather don't let them out in bad weather
    They should be kept in a secure area outside to keep preditors from getting them..
    They are defenseless
    Bushes or trees with a low place few inches high to run under for safety is good too.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  8. mayas

mayas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    i was also told that overhandeling them can kill them too, is this true

9. ashlee clarke

Oct 11, 2013
    Maclean
    No only if you drop them on a hard surface and frm far up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by