chicky behavior help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiemomma42, Mar 6, 2013.

1. silkiemomma42

silkiemomma42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    I am in desperate need of seasoned veteran advice. I am a new mom to 11 beautiful black silkie babies. They are thriving, they love their brooder, have access to electrolytes and fresh plain water. They have organic chick starter with show quality supplements mixed in...I just want pretty happy little birds. They are now 5 days old. I handle them all at least 6 times a day each. To inspect their bums, and place them in a little box. I am very gentle I pet them during this time, and make sure they all get a nice once over several times a day. Despite this, everyday they become more and more fretful of being picked up, if any human interaction. They don't want to be picked up. Is it something I am doing? I want sweet friendly chicks, should I approach something differently? I look forward to any and all advice! Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. GreatWhiteAfro

GreatWhiteAfro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Casa Grande, Az
    I was about to post a very similar question. My week old chicks and my older 7-8 week old chicks don't wanna be held. The older ones used to fall asleep on me, now they're in the coop and run from me!

3. Try giving them hard boiled eggs they love those and it may make them love you. Also when you hold them try finding places they like to be scratched/peted and pet them there when you hold them. You will know they like it when they close there eyes.
    Good Luck!

4. silkiemomma42

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    thank you! I will try treating them with hard boiled eggs. I guess I didn't assume it be so difficult to win the affection of a bird! What an exciting little adventure. I do believe I have read on here that if you are giving the hard boiled egg you don't have to offer grit, but for pretty much every other treat you do.

5. silkiemomma42

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    thank you! I will try treating them with hard boiled eggs. I guess I didn't assume it be so difficult to win the affection of a bird! What an exciting little adventure. I do believe I have read on here that if you are giving the hard boiled egg you don't have to offer grit, but for pretty much every other treat you do.

6. silkiemomma42

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    They absolutely snubbed the a yolk and ran from my hand the entire time. How disheartening. Perhaps a different type of treat? Could this just be a phase?

7. silkiemomma42

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    They absolutely snubbed the egg yolk and ran from my hand the entire time. How disheartening. Perhaps a different type of treat? Could this just be a phase?

8. aleia

aleia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    bass lake, CA
    My chicks are 2 weeks old, and they are doing the same thing. They started running from me after about a week old. However, I have found that once they are in my hands and up against my body where they used to cuddle, they mellow out and accept the attention. It doesn't last long, though; after about 2 seconds they are flapping about, jumping down to peck at something on the floor. It hurt my feelings a little bit at first, but I figure they are kind of like kids growing up. Babies love kisses and cuddles, but when they get older they squirm out of Mom's embrace and protest at a kiss on the cheek. With chicks, I guess they reach that age quickly. Makes you appreciate the first few days.

9. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    With my experience, they seem to go through different stages. A couple of our girls that were always super skittish, now come right up to us wanting attention. One of the ones that does that is 8 months old now and she didn't come close to us until about a month ago. Before that she wasn't very interested. I also had a couple that would always hop into my lap and now they don't seem to care and a different one is hopping into my lap. I would just be patient - keep spending time with them and giving them treats. When they were old enough to be outside in the coop, I would take a board and sit on the ground for a while and let them come to me when they were ready. Some would not want to be pet or picked up and others would hop up expecting to be pet and would go right to sleep on my lap. I had hoped that my silkie would be a "lap" chicken, but out of all the chickens we have, she is the one that runs away the most. I am hoping that she will eventually change as she is just 4 months now.

1 person likes this.
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Try offering grit in the palm of your hand (or any other treat, even chick kibble). You can also take the feed away for a little while when you change the bedding, then offer it in your hand. I find that if I move slowly, and keep my hand low and don't move it, the more adventuresome will come to check you out, and soon be followed by the others. Let the chick step onto your hand, don't try to pick her up, then, when you get the adventurous one used to being on your hand, you can raise it a bit. They love the feeling of superiority being able to look down their beaks at their peers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by