1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicky memories and pecking order

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by naturemom, Jun 1, 2007.

1. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    I have 5 chicks that were hatched by a 3rd grade class. There were some others that have gone to other permanent homes, and 2 that went home with a little boy who really wanted to keep them but can't. I will be getting those 2 on Thursday. How should I reintroduce them? I know when they were at school children would take home 2-3 at a time overnight or over the weekend, and then they would come back and all be put together again, but this time they will have been separated for 2 weeks. Should I assume they will have forgotten each other by then and put a fence between them at first?

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Since they have been in another person's home, I would keep them seperated for a few weeks to be sure the new chicks aren't bringing something to your current flock.
    Then, yes, it would probably be best to introduce them that way. I wouldn't want to risk it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by