Chicky's hate being alone

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pattydaisyopal, Feb 24, 2015.

1. pattydaisyopal

pattydaisyopal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    Tampa Fl
    Ive got 3 chicks at home. They HATE being alone. They don't stop chirping. When I walk into the room, they're quiet. When I leave, they're crazy loud. I brought them, the cage and the lamp into the living room. Is there anything I can do?

2. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Search the forums for chicken entertainment. I've seen some great ideas. They may be too little for food other then starter. Good luck. You're a new mother now, no peace!!

3. pattydaisyopal

pattydaisyopal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    Tampa Fl
    Okay thank you! this is my second time raising chicks, my others weren't as noisy. But thank you! I'll look into it.

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicks learn quite young how to manipulate their humans, and it looks like you're noticing! It really is true that what we do influences chicken behavior. Be careful of rewarding bad behavior, though!

It carries over to adulthood when the entire flock sets up a nerve-wracking clamor when they see or hear their human approaching. In between, they're quiet as if they didn't even exist! Why? Because they learn very, very quickly that making a din will get them treats, food and attention.

My flock listens for the click of the back door opening and they set to lobbying immediately for treats. I'm ashamed to admit, they get them. When I have a broody hen who is caged up so as to break her of the notion of sitting on eggs, she is quiet and calm until she sees me coming. Then she immediately goes into a crazed temper tantrum wanting OUT. NOW!

Are you getting the idea your chicks are smart? Better believe it!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by