Chihuahua warned me chick was in trouble at 3am this morning!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okieinalaska, May 15, 2011.

1. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I have 2 chihuahuas. One is named CHewie and is always getting into trouble. I make him sleep with me and shut my door otherwise he wanders the house at night looking for food and getting into trash etc. Well last night he woke me up at 3 am like he needed to go outside. I was not very happy but he wouldn't go back to sleep so I got up and opened the door with the intent of following him to make sure he used the doggie door. Instead he went to the bathroom door and put his feet up on the door and whined.

I could hear the chicks being nosy and I thought uh oh, maybe one had jumped out and got stuck so I went in and look around. No chick on the floor. All the chicks in the rubbermaid tub are running around and excited like crazy. I check food and water, count the chicks, etc all there. I am getting ready to leave when I notice one chick has blood on it's back and the other's won't leave it alone.
    Thankfully I had some Pick No More stuff on hand and put some on the chick and put it back in the brooder. It immediately shook itself and that stuff went all over the other chicks, the tub etc. Yuck. They tried pecking it a few more times but didn't like the peck no more stuff but still harassed the other chick some.

So I chopped up a hardboiled egg and put yogurt and mash in it and gave it to them. That distracted them long enough to forget about the other chick and I went back to bed. This morning the other chick looks better and no one is pecking at it.

So Chewie saved the day! The one that was pecked at is a white orpington pullet with no name yet. What should I call her? Lassie? Lucky?

Here is a not very good photo of Chewie when he was a puppy. I couldn't find a more recent one.
    [​IMG]

2. iamsara

iamsara Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Sonoma, Ca
    that is so nice! glad to hear of a dog helping! thanks for sharing~

3. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    that is awesome. One of my dogs is very protective of the chicks, even so far as to harass a squirrel on the power line this morning that was near the run.
    I have a cat who has woken me 4 times with extremely low blood sugars. great pets to have

4. limabean

limabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Aww, sweet doggie! But don't name that chick Lucky! Pets named Lucky are...not. (At least that seemed to be my experience when I worked at a vet clinic).

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    What a sweet dog you have. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good dog! He needs some extra treats today!

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yay for Chewie!

8. barredrockfarm

barredrockfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Aww thats great! Yay for Chewie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by