chihuahua wreaks havoc.....advice ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissJames, Oct 25, 2008.

1. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    We live on 8 acres and allowed my kids friends to try their hand at raising rock cornish chicks here.They had 170 in a moveable pen and have been doing great for weeks.Yesterday it rained all day.When the guys came to feed the chicks half were dead......not cuz of weather.....my chihuahua was IN the pen killing them!!!!! We didn't even know he was outside [raining].
    I had enjoyed those chicks so much I ordered 25 RI Reds that ship on Nov 5th. Now I think I might cancel,if they let me.
    The pen wasn't the sturdiest,but still, our devil dog was very determined.I'm not sure I should subject more chicks to a possible encounter with him.Any advise? Anyone else with pet issues?
    sign me "Disappointed"

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Try building a sturdier pen. Some how keep the dog from being able to go into the chicken area. Also try showing the chickens to the dog and tell him 'no'. Try to train him that chickens are not for eating. It takes a lot of work.
    I hope some one can tell you a better way.

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

I have 3 dogs ranging from 8 pounds to about 50 pounds. Somehow I've been able to keep all of my dogs away from my chickens. I don't let my dogs out unattended. Two are always on a leash with me and the third, the biggest, is never allowed out of my sight while we're outside. I'm Alpha of the pack so the unleashed one obeys me, and if she starts trying to get near the chicken run, all I have to do is whistle and she high tails it over to me. You can train your dog to stay away, but you have to be sure that you are your dog's boss and not the other way around. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008
  4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have an 8 pound min pin, and she loves baby chicks. I would try to get the dog used to the chicks.

5. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I should clarify, we did not build the pen,the young men raising the chicks did.This is totally their thing ,just our yard.
    My husband is a carpenter and would do a much better job.Also ,we only "let" the dogs out in the fenced in backyard, but the chihuahua can slip out fast.We have a choc lab [he's an autism service dog / tracker] a yellow lab , and a westie /maltese mix,as well as the chihuahua.He was the neighbors dog who came to visit and refused to leave.
    I really want to have the RI Reds,just hope it's fair to them.

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Then there is no need to cancel your chickie order!! Your hubby can build a great pen for them!!
    Perhaps the young men can learn to build a sturdier pen also. It could have easily been any type predator that gets their chickies.
    Sounds like you are doing a very good job! Very nice of you!

Get your chickies! Get your chickies!!

7. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    If i had let one dog attack stop me, i would have been done with chickens 5 years ago!!
    My neighbors dogs were constantly killing of entire flocks of chickens, turkeys and ducks. I would improve the security of the cage, buy more chicks only to wake one morning to another slaughter. My neighbor(if he weren't my elderly grandfather) would be taken to court for about $900-$1000 in dead chickens, and cage materials. The last attack was about a month ago. and they left me with one lone hen (killed my BEST rooster, and all 8 of my other hens) So, again, i improved and i LET them loose this time, to see if they could get in. I watched them try for a good hour, and then I penned them back up.

Again, i have more birds for the pen, and we will see.

Don't give up. Tell the gentlemen who are raising the birds that they should secure the cage better, if it wasn't your chi, it would have been a fox, raccoon, weasel. Just inform them that it is their responsibility to keep the birds safe from predators. And in the meantime, you can start training your chi to leave the chickens alone.
    Go ahead and order the RIR but keep them safe:)

8. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Okay! I'll tell my hubby you said so LOL
    Just so much carnage last night.Discouraging,you know?

9. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Thank you,I will.
    You have a true pioneer spirit,DulcyDoll.And my admiration

10. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks, but don't let me fool ya, there were MANY tears shed over my beloved poultry, and it does take a lot to get rid of that "oh, it's just going to happen again" feeling. But, stand tall...realize that you are smarter then those **bad words inserted here** chicken killing dog(s) and make every precaution available!

I wish you the best of luck..and POST PICTURES WHEN YOU GET SOME!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by