Chihuahuas in the Cold

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Savannah Hayley, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Savannah Hayley

Savannah Hayley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    I have 2 chihuahuas and a chihuahua/terrier mix. They all sleep together in a dog house outside with lots of blankets and a blanket over the door to keep the wind out.

Tonight is going to get to 16 degrees (Fahrenheit) and I'm wondering if it will be too cold for them out there.

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Could the possibly be brought inside? When I think of Chihuahuas I don't think of them being rugged, outdoor type dogs.

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Small bodied very short coated dogs generally do not do well in excessive cold temperatures.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Are you willing to sleep outside in 16 degree Fahrenheit weather with just a few blankets? If not, bring the dogs inside. If they were a larger breed with ample, insulating fur, they'd likely be OK with sufficient protection against the cold. But a tiny, dog with short fur? Not a chance! And it is definitely animal cruelty if you let them freeze outside, most places would take them away from you.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would consider bringing them in for the night. I think it would be better to be safe than sorry, even if they are used to being outside!

6. Savannah Hayley

Savannah Hayley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    We did bring them inside. And we will anytime it gets too cold. They aren't house trained though, so they have a little fenced in area in the kitchen.

The thing is we used to live in California and it never got too cold for them outside during the night, so this is something we will have to adjust to and that's perfectly fine. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by