Chihuahuas: Input...UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Laurajean, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    PLEASE READ MY UPDATE ABOUT THE TWO SPANIEL MIXES........

This thread is no longer about Chihuahuas.... Please see my most recent post for an update. I kept the title for recognition for those that have been following the thread. Thanks! [​IMG]

I placed an ad on Craigslist that I am looking for a small breed lap dog. I explained that I am mildly disabled, and so I need a somewhat mellow, not high-energy lap dog that I don't need to struggle to keep up with. I explained that I'd like my ideal dog to not be a yapper, that I just want a small, mellow but affectionate dog that will get along with my 2 dog friendly cats.

Today I got a reply on my ad from a lady whose 2 Chihuahuas just had puppies, and there are 2 males left. I had never even considered a Chihuahua, I have always heard that they were hyper, yappy, bossy dogs, just what I don't want. But she said although some are, hers are not hyper or bossy, and that the female mother will bark at strangers at the door, but that's about it. She said they are very cuddly and like to sit on their laps, watch TV, be held, etc.

So I'm a little confused. I've never even met a Chihuahua, I have no first hand experience with what they are like. So, of course I thought of my trusty fellow BYCers, and am hoping for some input. Does this sound like a bad breed for me, or do any of you have Chihuahuas that are mellow and not yappy?

Any general input on the pros and cons of Chihuahuas, and your experiences with them would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Yappy- yes
    Snappy- yes (My daughter was bitten 3 times by different dogs when she was little. She deserved it once. They don't usually like kids.)
    High energy- yes
    Real dogs?- I personally don't think so.

I hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I have never met a chihuahua that wasnt a yapper. I personally think that they are extremely yappy, bouncy and just plain annoying.
    And its not just that they yap...they yap incessantly and the pitch of that yap goes right through my head like a hot poker.
    They have bladders the size of walnuts requiring many trips outside.

When I see one being taken for a walk, I often think to myself 'oh. look. A rat on a rope.'

No slamming from the chihuahua lovers of BYC....she asked for opinions. [​IMG]

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Snappy. I forgot snappy.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida

I was trying to be polite and not say "rat". [​IMG]

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I am an emergency vet tech, so granted when I see them it's usually in a stressful situation, BUT with VERY few exceptions all of the chihuahuas I see require muzzles because they BITE, not nip, BITE. Not a breed I would choose to be around small children OR folks with disabilities. HOWEVER, you might ask her for some references and check out if what she says is true about the temperament of her dogs. Most breeders know their dogs very well, and like I said there are exceptions to the "chihuahuas are evil" rule. If she's a backyard breeder with no references, RUN AWAY!!!

What is your ability for grooming a dog? That would help alot with breed recommendations.... [​IMG]

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT

I was trying to be polite and not say "rat". [​IMG]

LOL I have an actual rat on my lap right now...much nicer than most chihuahuas I've met!! [​IMG]

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If chihuahuas are raised correctly as dogs and socialized on a constant basis as puppies, they can turn out to be great dogs. I see problems with them when people treat them more like cuddly stuffed animals than dogs. It's very easy to treat them that way and they tend to have zero manners. Those taught commands and treated like dogs have been a pleasure to be around, in my experience!

9. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Try a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are supposed to be very sweet creatures. Chihuahuas aren't nice dogs & the ones that are, are atypical so not a breed you want.

10. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Good God. You all are so far confirming my very fears. I don't want snappy, yappy, or hyper. I read a few articles on the breed and many said that properly raised, they can be very friendly and well behaved if properly socialized. So I was thinking since they are only 8 weeks old, maybe I could train them to not be yappy and snappy? Or is it just in their blood. Sigh... too bad. The pups are adorable. But of course I'm not going to adopt based on cute factor. My impression is that she is NOT a professional breeder. But she did say her and her husband have always had Chihuahuas and never had any trouble. I don't know.... I suspected this would not be the ideal breed for me, but thought I'd ask.

As far as your question, CF, I would not want a dog that required frequent grooming. I'd prefer low maintenance. Baths at home and brushing, sure, but I don't want to constantly be going to a groomer, I'll admit it. I've been thinking about this for a long time, and it's a VERY big decision for me, it's like adopting a child. I've done some "right breed for me" quizzes online, and a common breed that pops up as compatible is the Papillon, which I think are absolutely adorable. My main desires are somewhat mellow, somewhat quiet, cuddly, affectionate, just a true "lap dog". I will not be out there jogging daily with a dog! But of course I have a nice yard and the dog will get plenty of play, walks, etc. But it's important for me to find a dog compatible with my lifestyle, which is really not highly active. I'd also like it to be small so I can lift it when needed for baths, vet emergencies, etc.

More feedback on Chihuahuas are welcome, and any other breed suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by