Chiken Back Side Neck Wound

siliconvalley_backyarder

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2022
my chickens were attack by a predator 2-3 days back by the time I got out 2 were dying , one was gone, and the rest was safe . being newbie I did not check any wounds , the day after , when I came back to coop I found one was on ground thought it was dead .. but it had little life in it, then I thought I need to cull here when I took her to slaughter ( myself) I see she was standing and walking i thought maybe I can help .. starting applying triple antibiotic cream, peroxide, ( currently got

Vetericyn), She is still alive but do not feed herself, and I keep feeding her Electrolytes, and egg yolk + yogurt, and a bit aspirin( 80mg daily). Unfortunately she is not getting better , her eyes are now closed, barely standing and mucus is coming out of her beak.. my guess is that she is septic and in need of antibiotics but I do not have anything at hand order online will be here in 3 days , any suggestion ?

- no bleeding

Attachments

• tempImageNBY5nA.png
    tempImageNBY5nA.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImageQDZenk.png
    tempImageQDZenk.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • tempImageTAAc9C.png
    tempImageTAAc9C.png
    4 MB · Views: 5
I'm sorry about your hen.

Is there any bad odor coming from the wound?

Mucous coming from the beak, it sounds like the crop is not emptying. This may be due to the injury to the neck.

Chickens can often recover from severe wounds, but unfortunately, sometimes they are not able to overcome their injuries.

If you feel like you need to carry on with care, then keep her hydrated. See that her crop is emptying. Do check her over for any wounds that may have been missed and hidden under feathers. An antibiotic may help, but if the crop is in stasis, then it's going to be hard to get fluids and meds into her.

Even though she's not bleeding, thoroughly disinfect her wound. Make sure you clean out every crevices on the injury. Then apply a heavy layer of neosporin. Squeeze the tube on her neck and use a qtip as an applicator to spread it.

Keep her in a quiet place and feed and water her every 3 hours. Give her small increments of food and water at every visit. She's probably in shock. Hope she can recover.

Mucous coming from the beak, it sounds like the crop is not emptying. This may be due to the injury to the neck.

Chickens can often recover from severe wounds, but unfortunately, sometimes they are not able to overcome their injuries.

If you feel like you need to carry on with care, then keep her hydrated. See that her crop is emptying. Do check her over for any wounds that may have been missed and hidden under feathers. An antibiotic may help, but if the crop is in stasis, then it's going to be hard to get fluids and meds into her.

no bed odor but color is not great either, blackish ... after first day I see hr pooping out.. maybe I am giving too much food.. kind of forcing it with syringe

Even though she's not bleeding, thoroughly disinfect her wound. Make sure you clean out every crevices on the injury. Then apply a heavy layer of neosporin. Squeeze the tube on her neck and use a qtip as an applicator to spread it.

Keep her in a quiet place and feed and water her every 3 hours. Give her small increments of food and water at every visit. She's probably in shock. Hope she can recover.

She is inside a box now, how much is little how much is too much... I ave to use syringe.. should I do 5ml each time or 15ml ( yolk+yogurt) , also have Electrolyte should I have alternate ?

do you think this is a good idea to help with crop https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/making-a-crop-bra-for-a-hen-with-pendulous-crop.1464848/ ?

Back
Top Bottom