chiken house blues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lehjah42, Nov 25, 2013.

1. lehjah42

lehjah42 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Hi everyone! We are going away for a couple of days. Our rooster and hen have a house we put them in each evening because they haven't decided to go into it by themselves, they rather roost on our railing or on an old washing machine. I let them out every morning. I am afraid if I leave them free something will get them, but I am not sure how they will do overnight in the house for 3 nights. They have a roost, food and water in there and plenty of ventilation. Help!!

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Do you have someone who can come over and tend to your flock while you are gone? or is it possible to make an attached run so they aren't just stuck in a coop while you are gone?

3. lehjah42

lehjah42 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    We only have the 2 chickens, next door has a few hens but they stay in the run and coop so I don't think they would want to round ours up to put away at night. We are going to make a run eventually, but we only have 2 days to get it ready. I appreciate your input.

4. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
    it never hurts to ask, worst case they say no. however with just 2 chickens leaving them in a coop shouldn't be too bad for a couple of days as long as it is big enough for them not to get bored in. As for an attached run, you can make an inexpensive one using hardwire cloth and firring strips.

5. lehjah42

lehjah42 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Thanks. what breed is your chick?

6. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
    my avatar pic is an Australorp, I have had many breeds, plus barnyard mixes.

7. lehjah42

lehjah42 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Just wanted everyone to know that we left the pair in the henhouse for 2 nights while we went away. We covered the vents (it was going down into the 30's one night), put a night light and left plenty of food and water. They did fine, even had 2 eggs when I got home. That didn't teach them to go into the henhouse by themselves like we thought it would, we still have to carry them to it in the evening.

8. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
    you shouldn't cover the vents as they need ventilation so they do not get a respiratory infection from their poop, glad they did ok while you are gone. as for them still not going into the coop at night try throwing some scratch in their coop close to dusk and once they are in close the door. it may take a week or so but they should eventually start going in on their own.

9. lehjah42

lehjah42 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Thanks, I'll try that. I didn't think all the vents should've been covered, but hubby thought different!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by