1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chikns in d garden -- "what about the garlic!"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amiachicknorwat, Apr 2, 2017.

1. amiachicknorwat

amiachicknorwat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Hi, I let the chickens into the garden to clean up aphid larvae etc and basically just to cut 'em loose as spring sprung with a nice sunny day. They had plenty of fun so wasn't so dampening by the time my partner cried out, "what about the garlic we planted last fall!" You could see they were digging a wee deeper than mere scratching and pecking. After putting them back in the coop/run i saw they had exposed the mulched garlic sprouts, but doesn't look like they went for the garlic itself. However i dont know how many, if any, of the garlic sprouts they munched whole. My question then stands: is the garlic safe or should i fence around it leaving them the rest of the garden till we plant it? Thanks, ChickeNick

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It's probably perfectly safe for your chickens, but I'd fence it off anyway if you want to have any to harvest this summer.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Garlic is safe, and many flock owners use it as an anti helminthic. But, as BJ says, if you want to enjoy it yourself, put a fence of sorts between them and the garlic!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    X3 on them tearing up the plants.

Not sure I'd want 'fresh' chicken poop on my food garden.
    I let them do that in the fall, then let it sit over winter to 'mellow'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by