Child Attack! (Wasn't sure to put this here or under 'Predators and Pests')

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brooksy86, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Brooksy86

Brooksy86 Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    My four new ex battery ISA's have just started to come out their coop more and explore the garden, some even come over when I have mealworms (but still don't like me touching them just yet, which is fine) but this evening I caught the neighbours kid in the garden holding one of the chickens by the tail. The rest were in their coop, pinning themselves to the back wall and screaming if I put my hands inside (even with mealworms). I'm not sure what the kid did but they are all utterly petrified, I quietly spoke to the mother, when I walked him back to his and explained to him how the birds need to be left alone and observed and that I'd explain and show him how to hold them correctly once they got a bit tamer but I hadn't at this point seen the effects of his little visit. The little b******.

It seems all my hard work has been undone, and they are petrified of me even, will they learn to trust me again?

2. PaulaMc

PaulaMc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2016
    Bolton, England
    OMG!!! That is terrible. You sound like you were a lot calmer with the kid than I would have been.

I am sure they will calm down again soon poor little loves. Just keep talking to them and sitting by the coop with treats etc.

Good luck love.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor things. Give them some more time and patience. They will come to associate you as their human. As @PaulaMc suggests, sit by the coop and talk to them or if you read alot, take a book and read to them[​IMG] - just let them hear your voice. Scatter their treats a bit away from you and let them come at their own pace. Start out by not even really looking at them. Every few days, move the treats a bit closer to your chair.
    Some hens are not cuddle bugs and don't like to be handled. You may find that all of them prefer to be talked to, but not touched.

I have a few of girls that want to be close and chat away, but prefer not to be held, this is fine - we have some good talks.

I'm sorry this happened.

1 person likes this.
  4. PaulaMc

Oct 29, 2016
    Bolton, England
    Hi

Just hoping your girls are all recovered.

Happy 2017.

5. Brooksy86

Brooksy86 Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    They seem fine now, one in particular (who seems to be bit of a lone wolf) has become my garden buddy, she'll happily follow me about and coo at me whenever I'm close. I was playing with power tools the other day and she didn't seem bothered at all (the rest seemed pretty happy staying as far from the loud noise as possible) and happily sat and watched me, she's adorable. Two of the others are cautious but fine, but the 'alpha' hen is absolutely petrified of me but this may be down to the fact I locked her up for a few days due to her seriously aggressive behaviour towards the rest of my chooks. Its improved now but I feel like its slowly coming back.

Two of them are also looking like 'normal' hens now, you'd just think they were a bit on the scruffy side, the other two ex-batts are still a bit patchy but they have their feathers slowly coming through, they're also walking a lot better even though their toes are still curled, still not figured out how the perch works but they seem happy, getting sporadic clutches of eggs too :)

6. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    How old is the neighbors kid? Could this be an opportunity to teach him about chickens and maybe have a helper/sitter in the future? If that's not the case, then a big fence might help...

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks for the update.

I'm glad you're seeing improvement!

8. Brooksy86

Brooksy86 Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    No idea on the kids age, but I used to look after a lot of my friends kids and I'd say he is about 4-5. Thankfully the neighbours are relocating soon, but in the end of the day it was my fault, I have high fences but I left a gate pen, I let him in (and his coming in reminded me that my feathered friends can escape if I don't keep an eye on the security of the garden) and I don't think he was being malicious, just a clumsy bugger.

But they seem happy, they pick on the two slkies a little too often at times but they've now learnt to run like the wind so they all seem to co-exist fairly peacefully.

9. PaulaMc

Oct 29, 2016
    Bolton, England
    Aaaawww fantastic news.

Although it's probably too cold now - I used to squirt the bossy one with a water pistol when she attacked the others - calmed her down quickly ha ha.

It's surprising how quickly they regain their strength is 't it?
    Let's see some pics when you get chance please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by