Childhood dreams fufilled!

SummysChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2016
Virginia
I have wanted Chickens for a very long time and have been lobying for them at my house since I was little.
Now that I've gotten farther in my life journey, gotten into college, and matured the time has finally come to start my first flock! When I was younger my mother was a kindergarten teacher and every year we would hatch chicks from eggs and raise them to about 4 weeks old before returning them to the farm, so luckily I already know most of the basics when it comes to starting with chicks. There is an old tree fort on our property that we plan on converting into the chicken coop, it's a very good size and should be able to easily accommodate the around six hen flock we are aiming twoards. We plan on building our coop and getting everything set up before we start getting any chickens. As far as the chickens we want, we have decided to keep an entirely Heritage flock, with a strong emphasis with the breeds in critical or threatened status, cause honestly those breeds need lots of help and they are also some of my favorite breeds!I a precise any advice as I go on with this, and thanks for taking the time to read!

welcome-byc.gif
and your new chicken journey! Very exciting! And let me tell you, it's going to be SO VERY HARD to stop at 6 hens! Build your coop bigger to begin with...trust me! We were going to get 3 chickens, then we decided 6 would be better...we have 11 chickens now and have 7 chicks on order for March!
old.gif

If you plan on aiding in preserving those Heritage breeds I would start looking for breeders in your area and stay away from hatcheries. While they may have a lot of these breeds they will be less focused on preserving SOP.

I can definetly believe you on wanting more chickens, I haven't even finished building the coop yet and I'm already thinking of ways to convince the family we will need more XD

Also I totally agree with you on not getting them from hatcheries, I've been scouring my local area for good quality Heritage breeders and think I may have finally found one! Also I plan on attending a few chicken swaps to see if I find anyone else there. I know my small flock won't make a huge impact on saving the breeds but at least it will help get their names back out there. Honestly I can't believe more people don't want heritage birds, their some of the funkiest out there and honestly if kept true to their lines some of the healthiest too.

I have wanted Chickens for a very long time and have been lobying for them at my house since I was little.
Now that I've gotten farther in my life journey, gotten into college, and matured the time has finally come to start my first flock! When I was younger my mother was a kindergarten teacher and every year we would hatch chicks from eggs and raise them to about 4 weeks old before returning them to the farm, so luckily I already know most of the basics when it comes to starting with chicks. There is an old tree fort on our property that we plan on converting into the chicken coop, it's a very good size and should be able to easily accommodate the around six hen flock we are aiming twoards. We plan on building our coop and getting everything set up before we start getting any chickens. As far as the chickens we want, we have decided to keep an entirely Heritage flock, with a strong emphasis with the breeds in critical or threatened status, cause honestly those breeds need lots of help and they are also some of my favorite breeds!I a precise any advice as I go on with this, and thanks for taking the time to read!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! If you have any questions feel free to ask. Glad hearing you are dreams being fulfilled. Chances though you will probably start thinking in chicken math. Most people are not resistant to chicken math. I wish you luck on your dream!

I can definetly believe you on wanting more chickens, I haven't even finished building the coop yet and I'm already thinking of ways to convince the family we will need more XD

Also I totally agree with you on not getting them from hatcheries, I've been scouring my local area for good quality Heritage breeders and think I may have finally found one! Also I plan on attending a few chicken swaps to see if I find anyone else there. I know my small flock won't make a huge impact on saving the breeds but at least it will help get their names back out there. Honestly I can't believe more people don't want heritage birds, their some of the funkiest out there and honestly if kept true to their lines some of the healthiest too.
Which ones are you considering?

oooh nice! I like them all! I started off with hatchery birds first, and thankfully they have been healthy! I love them and their personalities. By far the most fun ones are the Andalusians. I also have Silver Laced Wyandottes, one Golden Laced Wyandotte, 2 Rhode Island Red, an Australorp, a Araucana (rescue from the Humane Society) and a Chocolate Orpington from a breeder. I am super excited to be getting Bielefelders from a breeder in California in March!

welcome-byc.gif
and your new chicken journey! Very exciting! And let me tell you, it's going to be SO VERY HARD to stop at 6 hens! Build your coop bigger to begin with...trust me! We were going to get 3 chickens, then we decided 6 would be better...we have 11 chickens now and have 7 chicks on order for March!
old.gif

If you plan on aiding in preserving those Heritage breeds I would start looking for breeders in your area and stay away from hatcheries. While they may have a lot of these breeds they will be less focused on preserving SOP.
I know. I started with 7. Then 8. In spring we are planning on having 20! With chickens it never stops.

oooh nice!  I like them all!  I started off with hatchery birds first, and thankfully they have been healthy!  I love them and their personalities.  By far the most fun ones are the Andalusians.  I also have Silver Laced Wyandottes, one Golden Laced Wyandotte, 2 Rhode Island Red, an Australorp, a Araucana (rescue from the Humane Society) and a Chocolate Orpington from a breeder.  I am super excited to be getting Bielefelders from a breeder in California in March!

I love Wyandottes! The breeder I may be getting my chicks from has some gorgeous blue laced reds!

Back
Top Bottom