Children, Chickens, Climate and other Newbie wonderings

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LilyandSparrow, Jun 29, 2016.

1. LilyandSparrow

LilyandSparrow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Centralia, WA
    Hi there :)

We are about to jump into our backyard chicken raising adventure. I have two daughters, 6 and 9 years old, and we live in Western Washington. I've narrowed down breeds that I've researched to ones that seem like they would fit our situation: kids, mostly mild climate (we might have a few hot days, and a few below freezing days during the year), looking for egg layers and plan to have a flock of 6-10 hens.

I can't decide if we should have a flock of all one breed or an assortment. I've tried to narrow it down and would love recommendations from those more experienced. Are these breeds generally friendly and good with kids? If I do an assortment, will they get along?

Breeds:
    Speckled Sussex (my current top choice)
    Silver Laced Wyandotte (or any Wyandotte, they're so pretty!)
    Barred Plymouth Rock
    Brahma (probably standard, not bantam)
    Buff Orpington
    Australorp (I go back and forth on this one)
    My girlies want a silkie too.....already chicken math has started and we haven't even begun yet! :)

Thanks again for any advice!

2. beb444

beb444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    So in our family we have a dog, three kids(18, 15, and 8) and live in Northern California. So hot summers and lows of 30 in the winter. This is our first flock and we did 4 Australorps and 4 Easter Eggers. Both breeds I highly recommend. The Australorps have alway been real sweeties, even sheltering a disabled chick(one of the Easter Egger's) under their wing at night to keep it warm. They are a little more timid, but all they require is one leader and they will follow their lead. So in my flock, none are natural born leaders but they can definitely get in the spirit of things. Beautiful girls, they reflect blues and greens in the sun. They get along great with our dog(will even walk under him), did well this past winter, and are doing just fine this summer. They are good layers, all lay about 6-7 per week.

I think(but I'm no expert) that chickens get along with other breeds as long as they are raised together. So far I have had no problems between different breeds.

Again, all of my girls are super sweet and love getting pet and held. They will follow me around and do well free-ranging. Hope this helps and I hope you find the perfect pets for your family!

3. LilyandSparrow

LilyandSparrow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Centralia, WA
    Oh, thanks for your great response! I'll have to add Australorps back into my list to consider. It sounds like they are sweet little ladies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by