Children holding chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickmill, Sep 10, 2008.

1. chickmill

chickmill Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Hi I just got 3 chickens and have been amazed by my childrens reaction to them. They want to hug and hold them all the time (thank God they have to go to school) I grew up on a farm and never considered chickens as pets and although I got them for my kids I was not expecting them to have so much physical contact with them. Question is, should I be concerned about this contact and limit it or do I let chickens and kids enjoy it?

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh, definitely let them enjoy it!!!! If my children could get by with it, a chicken would go to school on their shoulder every day. Nothing feels much better than chicken hugs. [​IMG]

OOpsy....and a big, huge, [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    As you can tell by my avatar, I don't worry about my kids playing with the chickens... [​IMG]

4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    my kids play with them all the time and when it comes time to do any chicken chores.. they all jump because it has something to do with chickens. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    The only concern I would have is to make sure they wash their hands well. The more they handle the chickens, they easier it will be to catch them.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    my daughter is always playing in the chicken coop

my 16yr old son is a closet chicken lover..

just remember proper hand washing when the kids are done

7. Chickybaby

Chickybaby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    NC - paradise!
    My son has been "helping" with our chick(en)s since we got the first ones 6 months ago. I made sure he was not too rough when the chicks were little, and that he washed his hands as soon as he came inside. It is not uncommon for him to be found talking to them or holding them. He has a few that are his particular favorites. They have just started laying so he's on egg patrol now, too [​IMG] . He loves them and it's helping him to learn a lot of new things (me, too!).

8. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    My grandson, Nathan, loves the chickens and can usually catch them. He calls himself a "chicken expert". [​IMG] This was taken in June.
    [​IMG]

9. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I've installed a bottle of hand sanitizer in the play house because every time the kids were out in the yard, they would find their way in with the chickens!

So I just trained them to use the sanitizer afterward. I don't think I would even ordinarily be that crazy about it (they are generally covered with dirt anyway), but one of them is immune suppressed.

I don't think you can hold them too much. They love it!

10. chickmill

chickmill Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Thank you all for your reassuring responses, however one thing that echoed through all of them was "wash your hands", why? When kids play with their dog, you don't generally make them wash their hands so what is it about chickens that make people say wash your hands after handling. What do chickens carry?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by