Childrens health and poultry

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrs.67, Nov 4, 2008.

1. mrs.67

mrs.67 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2008
    I was not sure were to post this question but since this is where we talk illness I thought this would be best.

My son and his girlfriend had a baby 4 months ago. My son is about to contact a lawyer because they have been living together but they are not making it. She is refusing to let us see the baby and one of her excuses is our chickens. She says research shows poultry is dangerous to babies health.

Now, our birds are in a very nice, large fenced in area off of our back yard.
    I wash my hands every time I come in.

I think this is just the beginning of finger pointing and name calling , I hope not but its not looking good.

I love this child so much and up until 3 weeks ago I was the main babysitter...then she accused me of holding him too much and I was fired.

Does anyone know how I can respond to any questions her lawyer might have. The baby does not go into coops with me at all.

Please help, I am so heart broken over this matter. I just want to be a Grandmother to him. This is turning into my family is better than yours kind of fight.

2. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    First of all, there is no such thing as holding a baby to much. You can not spoil a child under the age of 12 months. This is what some parenting classes tought me at my local library when I had my first son.

Second, I have a 4 month old baby and I have 3 chickens out side in a coop, and 13 baby chicks inside. As long as you are washing your hands, and changing any clothing that gets pooped on, there shouldn't be an issue. I used to take my son out with me to let the chickens out and he would sit in his car seat while the chickens would hunt for bugs around the yard. I sat right with him and made sure the chickens didn't peck him, as we enjoyed the coolness of the summer mornings.

To be totally honest, I quit my job to stay home with our baby, and because of the loss of my income, we decided to get chickens to help out with our food bill. Having chickens should be considered a plus, not a negative! I encourage your son to get a lawyer.

Dove

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If no custody has been determined by a judge and they are living together, they have equal custody. Why doesn't he just take his child and move out. He can take the baby just as easily as she can. Of course hire a lawyer, but don't just assume that she gets to make all of the decisions.

4. awsomechickdude

awsomechickdude New Egg

Nov 3, 2008
    Your daughter in law is being tottally unfair. I can see a point where maybe chickens might be unhealthy, but it sounds like you were being proactive towards not letting the baby get sick from the chicken germs.

5. mrs.67

mrs.67 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2008
    Thank You Morning Dove, I was crying as I read that.

I love him soo much and would never do anything to harm him. But, yes I was fired for holding him too much and she says it makes it difficult for her when she gets home with him.

She is always going on about my birds. I wash and have alcohol gel everywhere. But thats going to be part of her argument against him coming here.

I am to assume farmers should not have children based on her arguments.. I just don't know what to say when the lawyers ask questions. My guess is they will want to inspect my home. Thats not a problem , my home is clean ,but my birds are staying.

6. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Yep I would get a lawyer, I would also have your son go to court house and file for temporary custody. When my sister-in-law and her husband just seperated he filed first so he got custody. Am not sure if its like that in all states but here whoever files first usually gets custody unless the other can prove them unfit.

7. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Honestly it sounds to me like she should be seen by a doctor. At 4 months postpartum she is at risk for quite a few problems and she is displaying some symptoms. She needs to be evaluated for postpartum depression and motherhood stress type illnesses. How old is she and how 'experienced' in life is she? No mother that's thinking square would not want you holding the baby as much as it needs, and for her to say it makes him difficult to handle when she gets home is to say that she is not coping with his needs.

Your best bet is to try and work to support her through this difficult time and see if you can keep this family together, not help them divide. If your son can be helped to see this and take a bigger role in the home time she might have the time she needs to heal up.

Your chickens pose no risk to the child, and that again is a reach for some sort of security that she is not feeling from within herself.

Good luck with this and all my best.

8. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    In addition to the great advice you've already been given, I'd like to suggest getting the baby's pediatrician on board. S/he can be a very valuable resource for you and your son.
    Good luck. I'm so sorry this is happening. :aww

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    In Montana the law says whoever has possesion has custody until it is decided in court. he should go and get his child and file for custody. there are worse things that a person can expose a baby to than chickens. It's not like your leaving the baby in the coop while you take a nap. lol

10. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i'm sure it personal, not about the chick,
    maybe she thinks you'll take her child and not give it back?
    that normally whats going on in seperation, each is thinking the worst of the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by