1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Childrens Playhouse Converted to Coop- Need ideas for expansion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SaltyPaws, Mar 2, 2013.

1. SaltyPaws

SaltyPaws Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Just bought this for $60 off craigslist. Even factoring in $30 for gas, its a steal!! I will be adding poop boards and roosts to the inside, but will need to expand it to accommodate the 12-15 chickens I [plan to keep. Any ideas?[​IMG]

2. YellowHouseFarm

YellowHouseFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Virginia
    I would panit it crazy colors its very whimsical!

3. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I would agree with the whimsical look...like a "gypsy coop" Or...you could give it to ME [​IMG]

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It looks to be 6X6 feet. If the nesting boxes are externally attached I'd not think 12+ chickens would need more space. Of course it depends on your management system. If you lock chickens in coop some days or or heat in winter they'd require more space. My chickens spend everyday out in run so really only need the roosting space to accommodate them at night. I keep 6 to 8 chickens in a 4x4 coop with external nesting box each winter with no problems. That's as little as 2 sqft per chicken with no problems as I don't heat and let them in a large run every morning.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Wish I could find about 20 of those lil play houses!! Lucky!

~ Aspen

6. Randykr

Randykr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    That's a great idea!! Might I suggest you don't paint it some crazy yellow color tho....

If I got a deal like that, I'd keep it, and not give it to any of the members here! [​IMG]

And,,, I would get it up off the ground, on stilts, or piers, about 18" to 24" above the ground, for 2 reasons:

1. The flooring system, which is probably wood ? Will stay dryer and much less chance of mold, mildew and rot, better for the chickens.
    2. That area under the coop could be utilized by the chickens, and or part storage compartment for your supplies or tools and such.
    3. It would be easy to insulate the floor if it was up off the ground. And its proven that chickens like insulated floors. Just google that Dog.
    4. The Chickens like walking up a boardwalk to get inside the Coop, and they like walking down to get out. These are known chicken facts as you see on TV even in the cartoons... Coops are up on stilts!
    5. If you put external nest boxes on, there will be even more nice shaded area for the birds to hang-out. And they like hanging around friends.
    6. You might be able to put some sand under there for the chickens. People say they need sand, but it's my understanding that chickens just like sand, so I say, why not give it to them!

Well you get the idea, I could go on for days... you gotta give the chickens what they like

Just makes ya wonder, doesn't it? about all this info from the chickens? Must be a Chicken Whisperer out there somewhere actually talkin to chickns...

If you need anymore ideas let me know!

7. SaltyPaws

SaltyPaws Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks for the tips!

This is what we came up with.

Dirt floor, glass bottle and cinderblock walls.

External nest box and separate duck 'box' and duck exit.

We are adding a metal roof soon.

8. Randykr

Randykr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    I don't get it... you already have walls... right?
    How are you going to use glass bottles and cinder blocks on that unit.... just curious to know how that's going to work.
    Are you making a foundation with that stuff?
    I hope you post pics when you are done!!!
    Thanks

9. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Dang, what a bargain! I suddenly have the urge to search craigslist for stuff... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by