Chile Rellenos, Angie style :)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Frozen Feathers, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Okay I'm pretty bad at instructions but hopefully you all can understand my gibberish.... [​IMG]

Ingredients
    What you need:
    3 fresh eggs
    4 sweet grilling peppers(see pic below) or 4 Pablano chiles
    Flour enough to coat chiles
    Cheese of your liking. I have made these with pepper jack, sharp cheddar, provolone and have used the pre-shredded Mexican cheeses mix. They are all yummy. I prefer the provolone and sharp cheddar mixed together.
    A deep frying pan with 2-3 inches canola or vegetable oil.

Preperation: Take a metal mixing bowl and stick it in the freezer.
    While the bowl is chilling char your peppers/chiles either on a gas stove burner or you can use the broiler. You'll want the skin to be turning black and mostly blistered. Once charred all around ,place in a bag and seal for about 5-10 minutes until the chiles/peppers cool.

While Chilles/peppers are cooling, take your cold mixing bowl out of freezer. Separate the eggs, putting the whites into the the mixing bowl, retain the yolks in a another small bowl. Put mixer on high speed. You are making a meringue [​IMG] Beat the egg whites until stiff.

While your egg whites are setting up, peel the skin off the chiles/peppers. Cut a slit down the side, not all the way and pull out seeds, if desired (not removing the seeds from a Pablona may result in a mouth fire). Stuff with your favorite cheese.
    Hopefully your meringue is done now [​IMG] Fold egg yolks into whites. Roll stuffed chiles/peppers in flour to coat then dip into egg mixture. Fry until golden brown. turning once. pull out rellenos with slotted spoon to drain.

Serve with brown rive and refried beans. Serves 4, or 2 if you're little piggy wiggies like my DH and I! [​IMG]
    You can also stuff the chiles with refried beans, rice, most anything. Experiment!! Cooking is fun [​IMG]
    Enjoy!!
    Here's a sweet grilling pepper pic. These are what I like to use. They are very sweet and yummy.
    [​IMG]

Edit...I mean brown rice...not brown rive, lol not sure what rive is...[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2007
  2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Adding my two cents in, I have found the best way to clean green chiles is with someone else's hands. Seriously, be sure and wash your hands before you touch your eyes, nose or go to the bathroom. Forget to, and you will know what I mean.

Rufus

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    These are my favs but I have never tried to make them. Sound yummy. Gonna try it. I have some peppers in my garden that look just like that. They were all supposed to be bell peppers. Ha not.

Got the instructions just fine except one question? What kind of bag. Plastic? or Paper? Can't wait to try making these. [​IMG]

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Rufus~I always use surgical gloves when I mess with peppers. Then I don't have to worry about the pepper juices getting under my nails and working there way into my eyes!

This recipe sounds good. I wonder if it would be good to put grilled chicken ground up in a food processor inside the peppers. Maybe mix the chicken with some cheese and stuff the peppers????

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Wow! I'm glad people are actually interested in my Chile Rellenos [​IMG]

csguinn~Probably the paper is slightly better, it absorbs the moisture and doesn't trap in the steam as much as plastic, the peppers won't get as soft. I've used both and they both work good, so if all you have is plastic that's fine. [​IMG]

Judymae~ stuffing them with chicken and cheese sounds awesome! And you actually gave me an idea...I have some left over chicken from making fajitas last night mmmm yummy!!

Oh and the grilling peppers aren't hot they're very sweet and I just prefer to use them because I can feed them to my 2 year old and not worry about her rubbing her eyes [​IMG] When it's just DH and me I'll use the hot one ones.

And yes Rufus, it sucks getting chile in your eye. I have a terrible habit of always rubbing my eyes. I'm surprised I still have eyes that work. [​IMG]

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I came across a tip that helps with hot peppers. If you do make the mistake of touching whatever body parts while you have hot pepper juice on your hands, take a piece of fresh bread and lay, press, or gently rub it on whatever is burning. The bread absorbs most of the oil and will help to kill the pain. Not a total cure, but it sure helps.

7. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Angie, Thanks for the recipe! Now I don't have to worry about what to make for dinner tonight. I don't mind cooking, but have a hard time deciding what to make.
    Cathy

8. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Oh I'm excited now. This sounds soooo good. I bet if you mixed up some chicken, rice, cheese, sour cream and maybe some cream of chicken and then stuffed them, it might be good too. Gosh all this reading and typing is making my mouth water and my tummy growl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by