Chilean Crested?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 27, 2010.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

is there ANY in the USA???? if not, how would you make them?? XD

2. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
  3. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cueca Fowl AKA "Chilean Crested"

Steps 1-3
    These Chilean fowl are descended of the Ganoi/Malagasy I'd start there.
    [​IMG]
    Austronesian Giant Fowl AKA Ganoi AKA Malagasy Game AKA Bali Game
    You'll need two unrelated Crested Mapuche roosters ( from blue egg producing lines) and two unrelated Ganoi/Malagasy hens.
    [​IMG]
    Crested Mapuche of Blue Egg Laying Lineage

You've got to select breed from these four founders (individual birds listed above) and resist the urge to add any new genetic stock until you've got the size and carriage just right. That won't happen until the fourth or fifth generation. Ideally, you'll be breeding sons back to mothers- never breeding fathers to daughters.

Step 4

A Black Crested White Polish hen could be used to improve the crest but only once you've got the foundation of the breed stock solid.
    If you were to breed for the black crested white morph it would be easily discernible from actual Chilean Crested and imm recognizable.
    [​IMG]
    Boggy Bottom Bantam's Black Crested White Polish Hen

However, in general, the naked neck stock in South America is extremely strong -its from the original Austronesian source. It produces lots of eggs and is a good table bird.
    Both the crest and the naked neck are actually derived of Austronesian giant fowl ( Malagasy/Ganoi). South American strains can be found without contamination of commercial domestic genes.
    So even while we tend to think of a Polish/Paduan as a European ornamental breed- its actually an Indonesian (Sulawesi) ancient breed- one that was first imported in a very primitive phase to South America by the Yapese seafarers and later-in a slightly less primitive phase by Portuguese and Dutch slave traders. It should be remembered that the first chickens to be introduced to the African continent came from Madagascar and they were enormous naked necked, slightly crested birds. The Portuguese brought these naked necked chickens to South America from Africa as well as Indonesia.

I've discussed the significance of Austronesian fowl in the blood lines of certain Oceania and South American races and how this stock arrived in prehistoric times.

I've seen Crested Mapuche with this trait -the naked neck but they are diminutive birds in comparison to the Cueca "Chilean Naked Neck Crested", which is a giant bird.

Let me reiterate- introduction of the black crested white polish cannot be used until you've established your genetic foundation or you will be working against your own selective breeding objectives. Only use the black crested white Polish hen- not the male. Her offspring will be smaller and lighter than the selected founder stock described above. Consequently, their carriage and size is not ideal. However, they carry the demes responsible for a parasol crest and if you agree that the black crest white is a compelling phenotype and choose to breed towards that end, the progeny will carry the genetics responsible for that unusual plumage type.

The composite founder stock rooster ( Mapuche x Malagasy X Mapuche x Malagasy) bred to the Black crested white Polish female - will produce sons, which will ideally be used to "fix" the black crest and white plumage- or at least improve upon the crest. This is established through specific selective breeding regime.

The Crested Mapuche is probably a close cousin of the "Chilean Naked Neck Crested". Individuals of both exhibit blue ear lobes.

By breeding sons to mothers ( the Mapuche X Malagasy) the traits of the sire are accentuated.

If one breeds fathers to daughters, the traits of the dam are accentuated.

One breeds the M x M via backcrossing - sons to mothers.

One breeds Mapuche xMalagasy rooster to BCW Polish female. The resultant female progeny of this latter cross are bred sire to daughter.

Eventually, the first line will have perfect carriage and size.

The second line will have perfect parasol crest plumage and colouration.

The two lines are then selected into a composite- that is- the best individuals of the two lines are bred together.
    Subsequent generations will be bred very closely- narrowly- via the two forms of selective breeding described above.

It is highly likely that these perfect composites will need to be bred back to the original Ganoi/Malagasy and or Crested Mapuche founder breeds- in the future- to "sweeten" the lines and prevent against deleterious inbreeding.

The discipline of selective breeding requires that the selectionist not introduce any new founders or stock- just the original founders- otherwise one creates unstable mongrels- stock that cannot be depended upon to breed true- and most importantly, the production value of the new subbreed is destroyed by outbreeding depression.
    Keep the lines clean and simple. Breed only a very few birds. Cull heavily.

Once you've established your new subbreed please make certain that you name it appropriately so that its never confused with any of the founder breeds- leading to pollution of delicate lines. It will never be a Chilean Cueca but it could be a North American Cueca Brava.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  4. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    [​IMG] Cueca :national dance of Chile that imitates the rooster dance in front of a hen. "Cueca Brava": the same dance but in the big cities.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  5. Resolution

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  6. miss heny

cool!

7. Resolution

Quote:Please keep us abreast of your progress?

I've seen Madagascar ( more properly called Malagasy_ ) Games for sale over the internet. I would ask the people over at Ganoi.com.. Ganoi is the name the Austronesian descendants that live in Vietnam and Solitaire call them.

8. miss heny

Quote:Please keep us abreast of your progress?

I've seen Madagascar ( more properly called Malagasy_ ) Games for sale over the internet. I would ask the people over at Ganoi.com.. Ganoi is the name the Austronesian descendants that live in Vietnam and Solitaire call them.

i am thinking on making them here, will have to talk to my more right now if she says yes i will tell ya!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by