Chili Cook-off Competitors? You out there???

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by WriterofWords, May 14, 2011.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    In Tweeting with a Twitter friend about chili cook-offs, I've pretty much decided I'd like to get back into competing. It's been a very long time since I entered one, I've judged, but not cooked in a long time. I did it for fun, but now I'm looking at the ICS, (International Chili Society), and CASI groups and found out that CASI, (Chili Appreciation Society International) has a ton of competitions around here!
    So how many competitors do we have on here that I can feed off of??? (Pun intended)...

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What do you put in yours?? [​IMG]

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    From Redhen on my double post.

I always love to watch them when they are on the Food Network Channel...
    Amazing what they think to put in their chili... droolin
    Actually chili sounds good now... cool
    Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and i realize, Oh man,.... i could be eating a slow learner.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Not a competitor, but I have a couple of favorite things I add to my chili that I think make it good. I'm curious what other people do that's special. I add cinnamon and fresh ginger.

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ha! Thanks! [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:I have a pretty basic recipe with local chilies and chili powders. I use all local dried and powdered tomatoes, and a few other things. I love chili, it's my favorite comfort food. I have a vegetarian chili I make for friends that they think is just wonderful. I like it too!

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I add ground up kielbasa... browned along with the beef.. (another BYC'er said that she does that, and we tried it last time we made chili.... yum!)

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Several years ago, I was in an annual chili challenge. A week long challenge to eat hotter & hotter chili everyday. Completing won you a "I Survived" t shirt.
    I was cooking, not eating.
    I did the middle of the road heat. I invented a white chicken chili that became so popular we had to serve it often. It was yummy.
    I also came up with a green pork chili. I liked it but a lot of people thought it was too sour from the tomatillos.

Imp

9. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    would love to just go to one!! I LOOOVE chili and I love barbecue and it sucks; we live in central IL...they know NOTHING about barbecue here...

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yum..i bet that white chiken chili is gooood! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by