Chilled chick question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandydoodle, Nov 10, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I just got 3 new chicks yesterday and they are acting like they might have got chilled at some point. Is there anything I can do or I am I just gonna lose them. I am so devastated!!!! I never want to lose a baby but, these are very expensive not easily replaced babies. Plead help!!! [​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Do you have them in some kind of brooder? If so, is the light close enough to keep them warm or of high enough wattage? Please provide more info.

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Yes the wattage is high enough and I am sure it is close enough. When I first discovered this I moved the light closer just in case. Oh yea, they are in a brooder. I guess I should step back and say they traveled six hours in a car yesterday to come to me. They were in a box with a heat pack. I was just wondering other then the heat lamp is there anything else I can do??? Is there any chance of chicks pulling through after they got a chill. Oh yea, I also gave them some warm water. Should I try to get them to move around or let them sit and huddle. Should I try to get them to drink more water. Is there anything else I can do.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Please I am open to any and all suggestions from anyone. I really don't want these little babies to die. [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are they in the house where the temperature is warmer? How do they react to the heat lamp> Do they lay under it or off to the sides? If they are piling up on top of each other - they are cold. If they spread out across the brooder they are warm enough. Are they getting any drafts in the brooder? Is it wire or solid sides.? If wire you would put cardboard around the outside to keep draft out. Be very certain the chicks can't come in contact with the lamp, and they it is held up securely and can't fall on them or set the bedding on fire.

Are they eating and drinking okay. Maybe you could make them some warm(not hot) oatmeal to warm them up.Any other symtoms like sneezing or runny nose or eyes? How is their poo ?

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Do you think buying some heating pads would be a good idea?

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    We need more information (oatmeal is not a good idea as they are too young) - are they INDOORS? You say you have a heat lamp on them - but is it just a light bulb or an actual HEAT lamp bulb? If you have them indoors, on dry bedding, with a heat lamp, they should be just fine. What are they doing that makes you think there is a problem?

ETA: heating pads I believe will be TOO much warmth.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  8. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    How old are they?

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A hair dryer is a quick fix for a chilled chick! Say THAT five times real fast..... [​IMG]

10. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Maybe some electrolytes or sav a chick in their water? Are they eating and drinking? Pooping? If they are still huddled, I would say that they are still not warm enough...move the bulb closer but be around so that once they warm up, you can regulate their temp back to 95 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by