Chilled Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Trinity3205, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Trinity3205

Trinity3205 In the Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Morganton, NC
    I was out of town all weekend and had eggs in the bator. Today is lockdown day...except a few eggs have been hatching early on Saturday which was only day 16 of incubation. I assume the hen had started sitting even tho she was not broody at all before we took them to incubate? ( first timers here )

In any case, my DH got home before me and found them, not knowing what the was doing (men *sigh*) took the four hatched chicks out and put them in a makeshift brooder with a light and water and food that was completely wrong.

I got home about 2 hours later and quickly remedied the problems but one chick was wet and chilled and weak. I quickly got some warm water and slowly submerged its body to clean the wet food off of it, give it a warm drink and warm it quickly. After a short minute, I put it back in the incubator alone afte drying it a bit with a clean towel and let it rest, dry off and warm up.

Now, It is still alive and seems ok actually except just extemely tired and cannot stand well or much at all.

Did I do the right thing? What do you ideally do with a chilled wet new baby if sometihng like that occours? I was terrified it might die right there and just did what felt right. It has eaten a tiny bit and I have given it a few drops of water on its beack a few times to be sure it is hydrated a bit. It is newly hatched sometime between Saturday and today although I will be tit was today.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You did fine. Nothing is dead until it is warm and dead. I came home from work a couple of weeks ago to find one of my broody hens off the nest with her new hatched chicks. When I checked the nest there was one wet very cold and barely alive chick in there. I had duck eggs in the bator so I popped the chick in (fully expecting it to die, but wanting to give it a chance) four hours later it was running around the bator playing egg soccer with the duck eggs. I gave it back to momma hen that night and the next morning I had no idea which one it was.

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  3. Trinity3205

May 26, 2010
    Morganton, NC
    Oh thats good to hear! I think I have two dead eggs in the bator at the pre lockdown check and one had died after it pipped this weekend but it pip[ped in the wrong spot because we were still turning them I suppose [​IMG] and I guess it drown? idk. The rest have big air pockets and are completely dark for th emost part otherwise but I cant really see movement so I just dont know whats going on in there. If these four are all I get, I hope they all live!

( Im still getting the hang of this candeling stuff and dont want to take anything out yet that clearly has a pretty large chic in it. I just dont trust myself to tell well enough yet. I sure hope nothing explodes or goes icky)

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Ohh, that's always a bummer when they pip or zip and then don't make it. They others may surprise you, I'm not very good at candling either so anything that is a maybe just stays in--several of my maybes have hatched so now I'm even more reluctent to toss eggs that I'm not for sure about. I haven't had anything explode yet [​IMG] so I don't think you have too much to worry about there.

5. Trinity3205

May 26, 2010
    Morganton, NC
    I heard stories of stinky ick egg mess and I dont know if I can handle the smell...Some smells make me gag lol...Im a smell wuss. Hopefully if they are not alive, they stay enclosed in their shell with no stench [​IMG]:frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: