Chilled hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lazy gardener, Feb 27, 2014.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I know I've seen information somewhere, but can't lay my hand on it. How cold can a hatching egg get before being collected, and still have a good chance of hatching?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    28.4 seems to be the temperature under which a hatching egg can't drop or they will be damaged. From what they say, eggs can be close to freezing for quiet awhile and still be OK.
    Brinsea has a nice article on hatching eggs / embryos and what effects temperature has on them.
    http://brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html

3. western edge

western edge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Edge of the Bakken
    Good link there Kelsie. Im doing my own experment (unintentionally). I have been collecting hatching egg since Feb. 10th and on occasion have found frozen eggs that were layed later in the day and did not get picked in time. Been so very cold here plus I started a lot earlier this year. My first hatch is now 9 days in the inci so I will candle soon to see whats developing. I suspect the cold may have an effect on the fertility also as it does on egg production too.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Thank you so much Kelsie. I'm hoping that the weather moderates a bit during collection week for my hatch. I'ts been below 0 every morning this week, and barely makes it up to 20, before plunging back down again. I'm so very done with winter.

5. Beanzie

Beanzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    I had two frozen eggs that I put in my incubator on a whim and low and behold one has been developing. My hens hadn't been laying much, so I'd come across a frozen solid egg that hadn't cracked yet and toss it in. Last candling was day 17 and now I'm on day 20 waiting for some hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by