CHILLI PEPPER?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MonkeyZero, Jan 24, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hi

Well I got a call from the poeple who gave me my chickens and all are hens. There are 3. And the lady asked me if they are laying yet. I said no. They are on layer crumbles(or pellets). So then she said, feed them some really spicy chilli powder, the red kind. She said in Mexico and here she does that because the hens get warmed up and they lay. Should I do it? She has 33 chickens. 23 hens, 10 roos.

2. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    i've never feed them that sort of stuff before but go here and theres a food chart on what you can and cant feed. hope it works =]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've tried this with red pepper flakes the kind you put on pizza...works to kick start them into laying again...I've only given it to them a time or two tho not on a reg. basis....

4. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Well I gave them the flackes, and they are running around like crazy, and arent drinking water to cool down. Weird huh?

5. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    We were just talking about that. A girl said her grandpa fed them cayene pepper and so she tried and her chickens started to lay. So now I am trying it. I am going to use hot pepper flakes like one of the other girls did.

The way it works is that during the winter the pepper hats them internally and allows for the egg laying process.
    Kinda neat.

Try it, it couldn't hurt. [​IMG] Good luck,

6. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Im just scared they might burn their tounges. Do they have any? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    It won't hurt your chickens tongues. Birds don't have the taste receptors on their tongues for the capsaicin portion of hot peppers. Mammals do. That's why some people put hot pepper in wild bird seed to keep squirrels from eating it.

8. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok...don't know about the chili making it warmer so they can lay...since chili isn't really hot...it just fools your nerves into feeling hot.

Birds can't "taste" the hotness of chili

The theory I heard about hot chili (and it has to be the hot(spicy) king) is that it acts as a wormer and thus helps the chickens have more energy to lay

I've heard it has worked for some people

There are many good compounts in chilipeppers....enough that you can get it now in supplements (don't know the name though)

Let's put it this way...it won't hurt, so you have nothing to lose!

Sandra

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    What about fresh peppers? We have an asian market that sells some of the hottest fresh peppers ever and they are only $1 for a big bag.
    Just more chicken treats [​IMG]
    But what if they get them in their eyes!? Those things can BURN!!!!

10. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    I've given my girls Hot Pepper suet-they really like it. I've never seen them get too hot or too thirsty after eating it. I don't give it too them very often though, 'cuz I want them to eat their regular food. I've not tried chili pepper yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by