chilly Dec. blues

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by happyreds, Dec 7, 2011.

1. happyreds

happyreds Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Hello chicken lovers,
    It is hard times for my two girls, Peaches and Phoebe, both Rhode Island Reds, and myself...went out to check on them at 9am and had to break ice to open their doors. Found them toasty inside but not as happy as usual, normally they would be outside pecking in the grass or scratching in the dirt. With snow on the ground, however, they will not venture out. We can't help being here in cold country in northwest Ohio in December. Ug...and it is just beginning. I hope joining this group will help lift the blues. When the weather is fair I often sit in the yard with the chicks and we keep each other balanced and upbeat. They talk and talk to me and climb on my cot and peck at my clothes and often sit a spell and catch a nap. I raised them from 2 day old chicks and we've been together a year and a half now...don't know what I ever did without them since living out in the lonely country down a long lane.

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Hang in there! Winter don't last forever!

[​IMG]

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Welcome. I know how you feel. It's been cold and rainy here for 4 days. I am use to being out with the girls enjoying their company. Finally today the sun is out and they are out pecking around in 28 degree weather. At least we don't have snow. Keep your chin up. As greymane said, it won't last forever. So glad you joined, when the days were grim for me I come to this site and I get all cheered up.[​IMG]

4. happyreds

Dec 5, 2011
    Thanks, Greymane, for the welcome and reminder that winter hasn't that long to go. Now if only I could get it to move faster, I surely would. Anyway, sounds like you have quite a large family up there in cold New York country. My hat's off to you and your great attitude! What is your best tip for keeping everyone warm and happy?

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. happyreds

Dec 5, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome and understanding, Flowergirl in Texas. I am amazed to hear it was only 28 degrees in Austin this morning. It has climbed up to 35 at noon here and the sun is trying to shine. One of my hens has come out to dust in the dirt box under the coop. The other one is busy on the nest. So far the cold weather has not stopped the eggs, although they have slowed down.
    Tell me why you chose RED chickens, if possible? I really liked your chickens names and cat too. I have a manx indoor/outdoor cat called Zoraida (Zoie) for short. She is one crazy hunter! She is also bored already with winter weather because she just can't take going outside in the extreme cold to hunt. I am thinking of buying her a mouse at the pet store for Christmas dinner. Speaking of mice, one has sneaked into the chickens coop and they do protest, but so far neither can they or my husband or myself catch that mouse. Any suggestions? I fed them some baby mice last summer that Zoie found and ate more than she wanted. I would try to put Zoie in the hens coop to get the mouse but she would probably step in some poo and never forgive me.

7. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. Here is a little something to cheer you up, a blue flower for a blue day. I found them blooming on my fence this morning. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

8. happyreds

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi MSDeb,
    Oh Wow, they are beautiful. Love that alive blue color. What are these, I am not familiar?
    Thanks so much for sending me this blue high, very helpful. Makes me see blues can be a welcomed sight!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. It's about 75 degrees here, wanna move south? But it's supposed to get REAL cold here tonight, middle 40's!

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, hello, fellow Ohioan, and welcome to BYC! Gosh, you've got cold, ice and snow already? I'm in the lower part of Northeastern Ohio. It hasn't gotten bad here yet.

Well, good luck to you and your chickens and Happy Holidays!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by