Chilly Eggs *Update 10-22-09*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tothemoon, Oct 12, 2009.

1. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    I got my first 2 eggs this weekend, Miss Prissy wouldnt set on them and by the time I got to them they were cool to the touch because its a little chilly outside today. Im wondering if it was to late to start incubating them since they were already cool? They are incubating right now, and if it wasnt to late, when should I try candling?

*I candled today, eggs #1-6. Eggs #1 and 2 were very dark with an air bubble at the top. Today would be day 12 for those. Eggs 3-6 had lil moving chickies in them! So cute! It would be around day 15 for those.*

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Try candling around day seven but don't throw any out, even if they look dead. (Unless they stink, of course)
    I hope they'll hatch!

3. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    i would candle on day 10 to be safe

4. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    I candled the first egg last night......there is a lil chicky growing in there!! Im so excited!

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Chilling even into the low 40's and even into the 30's has never stopped my eggs from hatching. I often gather in fall and spring to hatch and the eggs are colder than refridgerated. They still go. So don't even worry about "cool" ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by