China/Ceramic Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick_a_dee, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I was wondering if any of you fine folks were interested in cermanics, and produced your own. I need to find some ceramic glazed chicken eggs to warm and use in my nestboxes. My mum had them the farm she grew up in back in England, but hasn't seen them since. They'd put them in boiling water and warm them, then stick them in the nest boxes for new layers.

If you are interested in making some for us, or know of someone, and wouldn't mind shipping to Canada, I'd greatly appreciate it!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use golf balls.

3. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    A lady down the street from me told me about Crackle Barrel having them in brown and white. I purchased some and they look GREAT. I put them in the nest boxes and it worked!! Fools everyone including the pullets. They look so nice in the store that they have them displayed behind the counter. Try their website and see if they have them to purchase online. You will love them too.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I used golf balls also and it worked great, I dont think the chickens would really know the difference.

Ive heard of broodys sitting on soft balls, dont think they are all that smart when it comes to the department !!

5. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I purchased mine from Cracker Barrel too. They look so real I had to mark mine with a marker so I could tell the difference in the ones the hens laid on sight. One made it into my egg basket by mistake and my wife said "this egg feels different".
    I knew then what had happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by