China disgusts me

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wattles, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Wattles

Wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Their record in the treatment of animals hast to be the worst in the world. They are barbaric. This story is sickening and it makes me angry. I think the world needs to boycott China until they decide to drag themselves out of prehistoric times and join the rest of the world living in the 21st century.

"In China, if you love animals you want to kill yourself every day out of despair."
    *edited to add that this link goes to an extremely disturbing article. Staff is considering this thread.*
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=506153&in_page_id=1811

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Thank the Gods, this is a family site...

That is just so sad...it's no better than throwing Christians to the Lions in Rome...

4. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    That is really disgusting. I really don't understand how people can do things like that and feel no remorse.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It is a hard article to look at, but things like these being shared do sometimes bring around change and this is certainly one of those horrible things that needs to be changed. I had no idea that this kind of thing went on in China.

6. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    It is no worse than those programs on the National Geographic channel. They have animals killing animals and eating them alive all the time. It is better to have the kids watching cartoons than that stuff. I know bad stuff happens in nature, but I don't want to see it in my living room.

Rufus

7. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    I know it's kill or be killed in the wild, but this is just wrong...

8. Wattles

Wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    It is indeed horrible to face, but we must if we're to realize what's going on and make changes in the world. This kind of thing should never be allowed to go on in a civilized world. Ignoring it won't make it go away unfortunately.

I disagree that it's no worse than nature shows Rufus. The article mentions that in the wild, animals know how to hunt instinctively and they kill quickly. The reporter notes that these animals are zoo animals who have had those instincts in them reduced/lessened and so it is even more traumatic for the prey animal than it need be.

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to distress all of you. I just felt it was important to let people know what is going on in so we can hopefully make a difference in the treatment of animals worldwide. I hope you won't delete my posting - I'm not trying to cause distress, only help animals.

Thank you,
    Tara

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you thank you - I am so glad you posted about China. Their treatment of animals also disgusts me and sickens me beyond words.

Several years ago Dateline NBC aired an undercover video that was taken in China - the undercover "agent" was there at the beheast of the Humane Society and captured heartwrenching scenes of the skinning ALIVE of countless dogs and cats for the fur trade (said fur marketed as being from wild animals - the items do not say dog or cat on the label). Crowded into dingy rooms, dogs and cats were made to watch as others of their kind screamed in bloodcurdling terror as they were being skinned. The scenes from that video are forever are etched in my brain - the terror in the eyes of the dogs and cats was palpable. It was reported that millions of dogs and cats PER YEAR are skinned alive in China. I cannot begin to describe the anger I felt and still feel about this. After Dateline aired, I wrote what I hoped were extremely compelling letters to Oprah Winfrey (since her show includes great numbers of viewers from all around the world) trying to get her to give additional exposure to this issue and to include ways that people could get involved to make a difference (as I recall, Dateline stopped short of suggesting what we could all do and really just left one feeling helpless and drained). I thought I had a shot because Oprah loves her dogs so much, however, the show declined to cover the topic.

After Dateline aired the undercover video, in New Jersey we were able to get legislation passed to ban the sale of dog and cat fur (Burlington Coat Factory was one of the chains that was selling the stuff and they ceased doing do once the situation was exposed, saying they had no idea the clothing was from dogs and cats, much less dogs and cats skinned alive.). What national and international exposure on a show like Oprah might have accomplished was to add impetus to get other states and even countries to ban the sale of dog and cat fur. If there was no market for the stuff, China would stop doing it. I shudder to think how many more innocent cats and dogs have died an agonizing and absolutely terrifying death just since this practice was exposed but not brought to an end.

JJ

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by