1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

China has melamine in eggs now!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by GinaNY, Oct 26, 2008.

1. GinaNY

GinaNY Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Mamaroneck, New York
    this was on cnn.com today

I haven't begun my town battle in Mamaroneck, NY for four chickens yet - but I've been told that chickens are a violation of the 'health' code - no specific ordinance has been written against them - they're dirty according to the code enforcer

Now, here's a question I hope someone can answer - has anyone had a lawyer or do we have a lawyer on the board that has fought for our right to control our food by raising chickens that we know what they're fed? Especially given in light of the fact that so much food is coming from China and is poisoned?

HONG KONG, China (AP) -- The discovery of excessive levels of the industrial chemical melamine in Chinese eggs has prompted the Hong Kong authorities to expand health tests to include meat products imported from China, a senior official said Sunday.

The move follows the announcement late Saturday that Hong Kong testers had found 4.7 parts per million of melamine in imported eggs produced by a division of China's Dalian Hanwei Enterprise Group. The legal limit for melamine in foodstuffs in Hong Kong is 2.5 ppm.

Hong Kong Secretary for Food and Health York Chow said the melamine may have come from feed given to the chickens that laid the eggs. "The preliminary opinion experts have given us is that there is a problem with the (chicken) feed," Chow told reporters Saturday.

The egg results have prompted officials to expand food testing to meat imports from China, Chow told reporters Sunday.

Chow said Hong Kong officials will step up checks of eggs imported from China.

Calls to Dalian Hanwei Enterprise Group, based in the northeastern port city Dalian, Sunday went unanswered.

In an earlier egg-related food safety scare in Hong Kong and China the banned cancer-causing industrial dye, Sudan Red, was used to color egg yolks.

Don't Miss
    China's premier vows to improve food safety
    Tainted feed kills 1,500 Chinese dogs
    Special report: Hong Kong after the handover
    China is caught in a food safety scandal over dairy products tainted with melamine. More than 3,600 children remain sick in China from contaminated milk, with three in serious condition, the Ministry of Health said last week. The deaths of four infants have been blamed on dairy products contaminated with melamine.

Authorities say middlemen apparently added melamine to milk they collected from farmers to sell to large dairy companies. The suppliers are accused of watering down the milk and then adding the nitrogen-rich chemical to make the milk seem higher in protein when tested.

Melamine is used in the manufacturing of plastics, fertilizer, paint and adhesives. Health experts say ingesting a small amount poses no danger, but in larger doses, the chemical can cause kidney stones and lead to kidney failure. Infants are particularly vulnerable.

The Hong Kong government also said it found excessive amounts of melamine in Blueberry Cream Sandwich crackers made by Philippine company Croley Foods MFG. Corp.

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Can't help with the code issue.

excessive levels of the industrial chemical melamine

... in products from China

This has been an issue all year, cat food, dog food, poultry feed, human food items. As a result, we don't purchase anything from China anymore.​

3. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:I'm not a lawyer and I didn't even play one on TV or stay at a Holiday Inn Express lately but someone....sorry I don't remember who, posted on another thread about a Right To Farm Act. I looked at it for a friend who was told she couldn't have chickens in the city . It looks like it might be a way for her to get some chooks and from what I understand a lot of states have these acts.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not a lawyer either, but I think this is one of many avenues you should explore in your battle. Right to Farm, Right to control the contents of your food...the chicken revolution is upon us, and though only a few of us will want to control our food to the extent of raising it, I think it should be a right if one has facilities and will not impose on neighbours.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:GinaNY, I'm confused. Did the code enforcer mean ALL chickens are dirty, or was he talking about yours. If it's merely the "enforcer"'s opinion rather than a non-specific ordinance, it might be easier for you to make your coop/run, etc., more pleasing for him rather than go to court.

6. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    keljonma, I with you. We don't buy anything at all from China anymore.

I know this is awful to say (and I feel very badly for all of the children, adults and animals suffering over there in China - my in-laws lost a dear kitty cat to the tainted pet food)... but I actually think that this melamine scare was just what corporate America needed to realize that getting everything made cheaply isn't always better. I hope, despite the state of our economy, we see lots of new American companies spring up that focus on not cheap, but affordable quality items. I'm co-chairing on my daughter's elementary school carnival committee this year, and we have to buy a bunch of inexpensive toys to give out as prizes. I'm going to do my darnedest to find an American company that produces carnival-type toys we can purchase rather than risk buying anything from China.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I thought that I was going to become transparent when I caught diarrhea in China just because I unintentionally allowed the skin of a lychee touch my tongue while squeezing out the fruit with my fingers.
    Ya ain't lived if'n y've never had diarrhea in China.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I think that very soon a lot of these stupid rules about "dirty" chickens are going to be out the window. We all have a very good case as to why we want to know where our food is coming from and a few backyard hens is not going to cause any commotion.

You may have to appear before the county or city commissioners and they'll let you know what avenue you must take next. You can ALWAYS go higher up so don't let them tell you, you have no hope. I saw a post some weeks back where the county officials said that only egg producing and meat producing fowl were allowed and cause chickens weren't fowl, the family could not keep their flock they've had for years.. [​IMG] Many people just don't get it...but they will. You just have to enlighten them:) Good Luck!

There are a lot of old laws too you can look up at the courthouse about livestock you are able to keep (12 fowl, 2 milking goats, and a butchering hog:)...even in the city!!! Sometimes these old laws are forgotten about and just need a reason to be brought up again. Tell them if they don't put up a fuss about the 4 chickens, you wont get the hog! [​IMG]

9. GinaNY

GinaNY Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Mamaroneck, New York
    thank you all for your insightful comments

I don't have chickens yet. I live in Westchester and pay a fortune in taxes but I don't have the land farmers have. I just want four chickens. And I do have about 40 feet from any neighbors houses so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to put together a booklet/binder with the chicken issues and recommendations for laws and specifics of the coop I choose. And pray. I will keep fighting as high as I can go and keep reading here to learn as much as I can.

As for the China products, I picked up my shampoos and some have ingredients made in the US and some say from the US and other countries. Chinese ingredients are in too much and I really think we need labelling that says where everything comes from. Processed foods are taboo now, but so is meat feed grain from there. It's such a concern for all of us.

I tell you, I'm very glad to have found such a wonderful group as this. I will be back on more and more as I get near my town argument.

Gina
    [email protected]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by