China to process USA chickens - eeek!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ajhaig, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ajhaig

ajhaig Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    Santa Rosa, CA
  2. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    jut another example WHY USDA is as useless as a broken door knob.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I never, ever, knowingly buy any food products processed in China. It is my understanding that in this case the chickens are raised here and sent to China to be cooked and made into whatever. Makes a lot of sense. As for me, I am either raising my own or buying chickens that I know were raised and processed in the USA. I have never bought processed chicken, but I will make sure I do not do so. And no fast food chicken for me ever again.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Another excellent reason to raise your own.

5. ajhaig

May 27, 2012
    Santa Rosa, CA
    yes it appears the chicken will be heat-treated/cooked but no labeling will be required to indicate where it was processed.

Processed poultry is currently imported to the U.S. from five other countries, including Canada, Chile, France, Israel, and Mexico. Imports from Great Britain are currently suspended.

6. ajhaig

May 27, 2012
    Santa Rosa, CA
    here are the four processing plants in China. Probably wouldn't be too hard to discover what brands they will be sold under in the US. I'm on it!
    Qingdao 9-Alliance Group, Ltd.; Zhucheng Waimao Co., Ltd., Weifang Legang Food Co., Ltd, and Zhong AO Holdings Co., Ltd.

7. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    ajhaig; While I raise my own birds, chickens are pretty new for me and I'm still buying chicken meat, and I do love the occasional chicken sandwich... I'd love to know what brands they will be sold under so I can know which ones to avoid like the dickens.

8. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    no offence but these people do not care about poisoning their own with milk, what makes USDA believe they will be more careful with our food supply. and yes time to expand my chicken coop!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  9. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Well, the USDA hasn't set the bar too high as far as standards go here. Some of the things they allow are atrocious.

10. NerdDoc

NerdDoc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Eastern Washington

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by