Chinatown ducklings :[

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckymommyyy, Jul 2, 2011.

1. duckymommyyy

duckymommyyy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    So I was in LA chinatown and I went into this fish and pet store...there were bunnies, fish, geese, chicks, ducklings...
    and the ducklings were the only animals in the store that didn't have any water and stuff and it was so hot today
    there was no a/c in the store too
    the ducklings were all screaming and panting like they were too hot. I was so sad but I couldn't buy all 30 of them!
    I'm glad my metzer order in coming on the 18th and i'm going to spoil my ducklings and take such good care of it.
    I learned so much just from reading all your posts so thanks everyone! I'm well prepared for all my ducklings needs
    cuz i'll be a first time ducky mommy [​IMG] I wish I would save those ducklings tho [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I wish I would save those ducklings tho

You can still do something for them.. report what you have seen. Ignorance is no excuse - if the owner of the store is going to have a live animal offered for sale they must still ensure it is cared for properly until it is sold. Unless they are reported - and made aware of their responsibility to the animals this will continue and ducklings could die because of it.​

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The problem with buying "rescue" animals is that they are just replaced with more. You need to report it if you know it's just not right. Lack of water on a hot day = citation. And who knows what an officer would find hidden away in a back room, you might be doing other unseen animals a favor as well.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 2 Report them!

5. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I agree, PLEASE report them! You should be able to make an anon complaint if you are nervous to give out your name.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    This store was in Chinatown...are you sure it was a pet store? Perhaps it was a live-food store with different criteria for keeping ducks that will be processed later that day. Why not talk to the store owner in a non-confrontational way?

7. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Ducklings being processed? Even the chinese wait till their ducks are reasonable sized before butchering them. [​IMG]

My guess it is a 'pet' store, where people can buy animals to grow out for meat if they want as well.

Report them. To do otherwise is irresponsible on your part. I would have also complained and made a hubbub in the establishment as well.

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:I grew up in chinatown, ducklings are delicious, and are eaten in all stages of growth. I'd guess it wasn't exactly a "pet" store, but water shouldn't be withheld even on butchering day. However, how long did you observe the ducklings? It is quite possiable that the waterer was being cleaned and refilled in the back. If you're worried, phone it in, but you may have been in more of a butcher's shop. [​IMG]

9. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    What was the name of the pet store?

10. duckymommyyy

duckymommyyy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    The place is called Fish and pets and I know asian people do eat ducks at all stages of their life but this
    was actually a pet store...and yes I will be reporting them to help the ducklings and other animals they could be abusing :[
    thanks everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by