1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chinchillas and chicks

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Master S.M.C, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    How would they to fair together. They are housed separately but how might the get along in you guys' opinion. Thanks to all of you who love both

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty sure the chinchillas would rip them to shreds.

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Chinchillas wouldnt attck them . they might nibble on a feather but i dont think it would kill them . Chinchillas cant have shavings as bedding though , they need that recycled cardbored as beding thats what i use

4. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Chinchillas would most likley not hurt a chick on purpose but they are fast and do like to "spring" off of things so a little chick may get hurt. Kiln dried Pine shavings and aspen are perfectly safe for chins. The other thing I would worry about are illness, Coccidia and Salmonella both come to my mind right away and with both being such fragile creatures I wouldnt chance it. Also while chicks may be ok eating chinchilla food (wouldnt recommend it) chinchillas could get very sick if hey attempted eating even a bit of chick food with their sensitive digestive sysem. Also kind yucky to think about but chins being semi-low to the ground, if a chick pooped on one it wouldnt be easy to clean out of chinchilla fur since its so dense and soft, water baths may not be an option if conditions arent right and it coud end up in a big fungus-y mess!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  5. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    The chiny's poo and urine may hurt the little chicks feet!

Not a good idea...rodents eat baby birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by