Chinckens Wont Go To Bed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happykind, Nov 23, 2011.

1. happykind

happykind New Egg

Nov 22, 2011
    My girls won't go to roost when it gets dark, They just continue to go about there business well into the night, well at least until i go to bed around 10:00. The daylight hours are short now, and I wonder if this has something to do with it. They usaually would come out around 7 a.m. and go back in for the night at around 5:30 p.m. Not this week. If i introuduce a light outside for them and left it on say till around 8 p.m. would this trick them into thinking the day is longer so they stay out and burn up more energy and then go to bed? All advice is appreciated., Thank you and goodnight

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    First of all, [​IMG]

Weird that your birds were acting normally last week and then want to stay out all night this week! Has anything changed in their environment? Mine leave the coop about 7:30 am and go to bed about 4:30 these days. I'd be concerned about a predator finding yours out at night though. How many do you have? Would it be possible to round them up at dusk for a few night to "re-train" them?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've had night chickens as well occasionally. I think it is due to the porch lights that can be seen across the yard.
    But be sure to check your coop thoroughly for other things living in it or visiting.

Imp

and

[​IMG]

Imp

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by