Chinese, boy or girl?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sylviaanne, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    If I understand their anatomy, it's a girl?

[​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is how my gander[Embden] looks but not sure does Chinese have 1 or 2 lobes? when mature

4. GG4Eternity

GG4Eternity Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    I take care of a mature brown Chinese gander and that's how he looks.

5. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I thought Tolouse geese were the only ones with lobes.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I believe all geese have lobes some single some double

Look what I found: The Chinese goose is refined and curvaceous. Its bill is relatively long and slender, with a large, rounded, erect knob that attaches to its forehead. The Chinese holds its head high. Its head flows seamlessly into a long, slim, well-arched neck which meets the body at about a 45 degree angle. Its body is short, compact, has a prominent and well-rounded chest, smooth breast and no keel. Its abdomen is moderately full but has no fatty lobes, except during the laying season when the female may develop a single lobe. Looks like this maybe a girl.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. GG4Eternity

Jan 24, 2015
    That's interesting, Miss Lydia. There were two purebred Chinese, a goose and gander, and one disappeared with a part Chinese gander, so I guessed it was the girl who was gone. The remaining one acts like a gander, too. I guess when mating season comes I'll see. Oh, the description you quoted did not mention they are L[​IMG]UD!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine aren't even Chinese and they are loud very. I like your L[​IMG]UD better But as far as if this one is a girl or not well according to the info i posted it may well be. I know Starfire has Chinese so hopefully she'll see this and confirm.

9. GG4Eternity

Jan 24, 2015
    I think the Chinese are the loudest of all. I see them as the German Shepherds of the goose world, too--they have a sound they make when they see something that worries them, and they always seem to be the first geese to notice a possible threat, and to warn the others.

10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Absolutely convinced you have a goose hen, congrats! None of my Chinese gander have lobes, only the hens. Once they develop at around 5-6 months, they don't go away either. My Embden all have lobes, and they came in before they were a year. If you can get a pic of the full goose, I can tell for sure. I have raised a few hundred chinese the last few years, getting pretty good at figuring out boys VS girls. I can usually tell even with a gosling pretty early, if I see it in person. Male Chinese goslings are territorial even when very young, lol! The true difference is the necks and legs tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by