Chinese, boy or girl?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sylviaanne, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    If I understand their anatomy, it's a girl?

[​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Songster

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

That is how my gander[Embden] looks but not sure does Chinese have 1 or 2 lobes? when mature

4. GG4Eternity

GG4Eternity In the Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    I take care of a mature brown Chinese gander and that's how he looks.

5. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Songster

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I thought Tolouse geese were the only ones with lobes.

6. Miss Lydia

I believe all geese have lobes some single some double

Look what I found: The Chinese goose is refined and curvaceous. Its bill is relatively long and slender, with a large, rounded, erect knob that attaches to its forehead. The Chinese holds its head high. Its head flows seamlessly into a long, slim, well-arched neck which meets the body at about a 45 degree angle. Its body is short, compact, has a prominent and well-rounded chest, smooth breast and no keel. Its abdomen is moderately full but has no fatty lobes, except during the laying season when the female may develop a single lobe. Looks like this maybe a girl.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. GG4Eternity

Jan 24, 2015
    That's interesting, Miss Lydia. There were two purebred Chinese, a goose and gander, and one disappeared with a part Chinese gander, so I guessed it was the girl who was gone. The remaining one acts like a gander, too. I guess when mating season comes I'll see. Oh, the description you quoted did not mention they are L[​IMG]UD!

8. Miss Lydia

Mine aren't even Chinese and they are loud very. I like your L[​IMG]UD better But as far as if this one is a girl or not well according to the info i posted it may well be. I know Starfire has Chinese so hopefully she'll see this and confirm.

9. GG4Eternity

Jan 24, 2015
    I think the Chinese are the loudest of all. I see them as the German Shepherds of the goose world, too--they have a sound they make when they see something that worries them, and they always seem to be the first geese to notice a possible threat, and to warn the others.

10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Absolutely convinced you have a goose hen, congrats! None of my Chinese gander have lobes, only the hens. Once they develop at around 5-6 months, they don't go away either. My Embden all have lobes, and they came in before they were a year. If you can get a pic of the full goose, I can tell for sure. I have raised a few hundred chinese the last few years, getting pretty good at figuring out boys VS girls. I can usually tell even with a gosling pretty early, if I see it in person. Male Chinese goslings are territorial even when very young, lol! The true difference is the necks and legs tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by