Chinese Button Quail?

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
I have always wanted some super tiny birds to raise, and after seeing Chinese Button Quail at a poultry show, I knew that I needed some :love I would have a small flock (2-7) for fun, and would maybe occasionally hatch some of their eggs. I would not plan to show or eat them. I just had a few questions to help me get started.
- Has anyone raised these little guys? Was it a positive or negative experience?
- What food is best for them? How much protein do they need? Does it need to be crumbled?
- How much space do they need? Would a 4 x 4 tractor pen with a small coop attached work?
- Do they need heating or are they cold hardy?
- Has anyone ordered Chinese Button Quail off of Ebay? Which seller? Was it a good hatching rate?
- Are they flighty and skittish like most quail?
Thanks! Very excited :celebrate

I have been reading it, and everything the thread did not answer I asked on this thread.

Sorry weve been more interested in playing than making sense of things :oops:

Has anyone raised these little guys?

Yes i raise buttons!

Was it a positive or negative experience?

This year my feed store got em in and i was in a delicate state of mind so i ended up bringing some home :oops: i :love em!

- What food is best for them? How much protein do they need? Does it need to be crumbled?

For babies it does needs to be crumbled but normal gamebird feed crumbles are good for adults.

- How much space do they need? Would a 4 x 4 tractor pen with a small coop attached work?

Yes that would be great i only keep them in pair after sexual maturity like the research i did at first told me to do but i know some people keep them in small coveys. If doing so i would just be prepared for the occasional injury as theyre not really inclined to live like that naturally and there will be differences at some point or another.

Good question. Im in a warm climate so im not good with cold questions but my orig research said theyre pretty fragile and while they can tollerate pretty cool temps they probly shouldnt be exposed for long. The breeding pair im keeping live inside.

- Has anyone ordered Chinese Button Quail off of Ebay? Which seller? Was it a good hatching rate?

I did not.

Yes

I have always wanted some super tiny birds to raise, and after seeing Chinese Button Quail at a poultry show, I knew that I needed some :love I would have a small flock (2-7) for fun, and would maybe occasionally hatch some of their eggs. I would not plan to show or eat them. I just had a few questions to help me get started.
- Has anyone raised these little guys? Was it a positive or negative experience?

Hi there! I have lots of buttons. I hatch a lot of birds since I am working on colors/mutations. There are lots of fun and very addicting.

I feed them gamebird starter until they start laying at 7-8 weeks old. Then I switch them to gamebird flight feed.

Allow one square foot for each bird. Unless you are in a warm climate, they will need to be in a heated building or inside the house. Mine live in my living room (...and dining room....and spare bedroom...) I use a variety of cages. Aquariums for chicks, adults in guinea pig cages and small aviaries. I also converted a bookcase into cages. Unlike other quail, you can have an all bachelor group. I have a few of up to 10 birds. You can also do a group of all hens. My highest hatch rate (averaging 90%) comes from groups of two males and three hens.

I have not ordered eggs from ebay. I know people that do, with varying success. I started with two genetic lines of adult birds, then ordered eggs from Creations N Critters when I needed new genes.

I have seen posts from a few people that have tame birds, but for the most part they are flighty. The especially like to fly straight up and boink their heads.

Thanks for your helpful replies! Who is Creations n Critters? Someone on this forum? Do you think they would do ok in an outdoor pen/coop with a heating pad when it got chilly? How much do they eat? I would love pics if anyone had them :pop

Thanks for your helpful replies! Who is Creations n Critters? Someone on this forum? Do you think they would do ok in an outdoor pen/coop with a heating pad when it got chilly? How much do they eat? I would love pics if anyone had them :pop

I don't think Creations N Critters are a part of BYC, but I'll ask. You can find them on Facebook.

I personally would not keep them outside in weather under 50 degrees, regardless of heating lamps, etc. They are tropical birds.

I've never calculated how much they eat individually. I have around 100 buttons and I go through 50 lbs of feed every 5-6 weeks give or take. I honestly don't pay that much attention.

If you look in the thread Button Quail Chat, you will see lots of pictures. Nabiki posted the link above. If there is a particular color and mutation combination you would like to see, ask over there. I'm sure one of us will be able to post pictures.

I have about a half dozen right now. I really enjoy having them and I have no plans on selling out. I feed them gamebird crumble—I forget what the protein percentage is. Yes, it needs to be crumble; they can't eat pellets.

I give them about 1 square foot each & I keep them in pairs or trios. They shouldn't be kept in temps under 50*, or that's what I've been told. I believe it. They're super tiny. Honestly, they seem rather like indoor birds to me. They're more skittish than Coturnix quail and will flush upwards and hit their heads on the ceiling if startled. I do have one that's okay with being pet, though.

Back
Top Bottom