1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chinese Eggs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Birch Run Farm, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    [​IMG] China is still at it, severe melamine contamination in eggs sent to Hong Kong. There are 3000 children suffering from melamine poisoning in China at the moment.

I wonder how much grocery store/processed food has Chinese products added to it?

Makes me glad I grow my own!

2. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I was wondering how the melamine was getting in the eggs.

In China it is NORMAL practice to feed the chicken's fertilizer because of it's cost.

The fertilizer contains high levels of melamine.

I just threw out 2 cans of mushrooms that say Made in China.

3. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    It makes me angry that American companies are willing to overlook their repeat offenses and continue to endorse and sell their products...

*cough* WalMart *cough*

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    They put melamine in the chicken and other livestock feed to increase protein levels. From there it gets into the meat, eggs and milk that is produced.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The powers that be do not care that the chinese have been poisoning themself and the enviroment for years and will continue to do so. But when they start to poisoning us, the powers that be still don't care, that is why it is up to us to do our best to take care of our own families. the problem I have is now the powers that be are trying very hard to hide this information ( origin of products ) from us in their quest of greed. so what can we do to educate ourselfs better and read between the lines.

I do not nor will I ever knowingly buy chinese products, but how do I know most of the time???

AL

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I hate buying things made in china. They are usually poorly made or something is always wrong. USDA is no better and thats why I hope that someday I will raise my own meaties

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The way you know is read the labels. Even produce says where it came from - those annoying little stickers on your apples that won't come off, etc.

8. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I am sure this wont be popular. We would not have to worry about products from other countries do to us if our population didnt buy products that were not produced by us. Its that simple. Some say it aint, it is.

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Some here probably think I am a nut case, but this is so serious I bring it up every time it makes the news. Our food supply and the terrible system used to keep it going and not make anyone accountable will get worse.

Botulism, Listeria, melamine and numerous other chemicals, hormones and atibiotics that are added to our food cycle grow each year. It is the very reason I began farming, homesteading and hunting 12 years ago.

I kind of feel like it is a duty to inform people, though many seem to ignore the problem and eat it anyway.

[​IMG]

10. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    At the grocery, I ask for the country of origin on fresh produce and fish (a lot of garlic and most fish comes from China!). I read labels, buy those that are listed with country of origin, and will call companies to ask when their labels don't specify.

There is a movement to make it law to label all foods with country of origin, but we need to be pro-active and not depend on the government for our safety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by