Chinese fertiliser fraud

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Delta2 23, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    It was on the 6.30 show last night: farmers in Australia paid 300 grand for cheaper fertiliser from a Chinese company (advertised on a government website) and ended up being shipped several containers of soil.

Some of it even got through quarantine and turned up at the farms.

It's costing them $3000 a day to store, but they can't destroy it OR send it back to China... not like they'd have anyone to send it to. This "legit" company has disappeared.

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    And why can they not destroy it?

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    They said it would cost too much [​IMG]

it's a lot. 300 grand worth of fertiliser replaced by soil... I saw one of the shipments: absolutely massive. And there were twelve of these in total.

4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    I bet it was a translation problem... [​IMG]

The chineese company thought they were selling "Fertile soil".... and then they disappeared when they realized they would be on the hook for the error.

I only say that because I've had business dealings with people in Thailand.. and no offense to anyone at all intended... but even though most of the amazingly know English very well.. some basic titles and ideas are really confusing for them and hard to clear up.

5. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    They called it "dirt" on 6:30 (sent it in for testing and everything), so I'm not sure how fertile it actually was [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by