Chinese fire drill, chicken style

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Nov 1, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When I was a teenager, back when dirt was new, I participated in more than one chinese fire drill.

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, wikipedia describes a chinese fire drill as: a gag performed by a vehicle's occupants when stopped at a traffic light, especially when there is a need to change drivers or procure something from the trunk: Before the light changes to green, each occupant gets out, runs around the vehicle, and gets back inside (but not necessarily in their original seat). If one of the participants lags, the others may drive off without them.

Figuratively, a Chinese fire drill is an act—especially, any large, ineffective, and chaotic exercise—by a group of individuals that accomplishes nothing.

So I go out to lock my chickens up tonight with a head swimming from taking some sudafed for a head cold.

I open the human door to the big coop and chase the one hen "Thelma" that was still hanging around outside the coop through the doorway. While I was doing that, Rosie the minorca flies up to the top of the door. I set Thelma down on a roost and reach up to get Rosie down so I can close the door. While I was getting Rosie down, Thelma runs back out the door. Chase Thelma in, Rosie flies up to the door again. THREE MORE TIMES we repeat this process.

Finally I got smart, hey it happens. After Thelma ran out for the umptenth time I got Rosie down and then stepped out, quickly closing the door behind me. I then went around to the side of the coop, opened the pop door and chased Thelma in. Get all the way back up to the house before I realized that I had completely forgotten to lock up the other coop.

Chickens. [​IMG]

2. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Love it. Sounds like my life in general.

3. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    [​IMG] I can relate!

4. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Mine too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    x2

try it with guinea keets![​IMG]

7. pdbantam

pdbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    South Mississippi
    [​IMG]

8. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Almost every night! I think they plan it who what and when every night.... I am glad they can't video record it and sending it in to funniest home videos.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh no thank you. I only have so much patience left at the end of the day. [​IMG]

10. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I loved doing Chinese Fire Drills. We always made sure there was no one behind us and hit the light as soon as it turned red. And then ran around the car like silly little fools. The people in the cars beside us would just laugh. We lived in a small town, so no harm done.

Thanks for the memories

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by