Chinese Geese Wanted!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 2ducky, Nov 21, 2009.

1. 2ducky

2ducky Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    Stony Plain, AB
    I have a friend who wants to buy his little girl a pair of Chinese Geese for Christmas. He is located in Alberta,Canada. Can anyone help?

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I think maybe the best help he could get would be some advice: pick a different kind of goose! My chinese goose will sooner eat you than look at you, and his favorite things to chase and bite are my little girls (ages 4 and 2)...

3. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    lmao,,,geese are smart and if they sense fear, they will play that game. I love the chinese whites I have all except they are really good watch dogs and will raise a ruckus in a heartbeat. But like all geese, they try and be the big boys on the turf. Buffs and the africans have different pitched chatting. Not as annoying of a ruckus compared to the chinese whites.

4. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I love my Chinese to death, but I would not recommend them to a "little girl". First of all, you have to wait for them to be ready to be loved. They hate it when you run up to them. Also, when I do pick them up, they usually bite me. Hard. It's a loving bite, but it can hurt. It's just.. How they are. I'd try a tamer, quieter one probably..

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I have had African, American Buff, Pilgrims, Tufted Romans, and Chinas. They have ALL bitten children! Iused to have an assortment of of ducks too and when people with kids would "drop in" the kids always wanted to 'see the duckies'! Of course the ducks would run and hide but the geese would stand their ground and some kid would get bit by one, no matter how many times I would warn them and their parents. The last straw for me was when a 5 year old girl got bit on the nose, and I realized it could have been an eye! No more seeing the duckies unless they were safely fenced in so they couldn't get to the kids and vice versa.

6. roboboy

roboboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    I think that if they purchased them as goslings that they cared for from day one, and were never too wild with them they should be all right. Like every animal it needs to get used to your actions and personality so that it understands how it wants to act when around you.

Granted though I have never raised chinas but I have had geese for the past nine years (since I was 9 years old) and we only ever had two ganders that liked to nip at us and bite if they were brave enough to actually come up usually when we were bent over checking on their hens eggs. Neither of those ganders were raised by us both were purchased as adults and it was both of theirs first breeding season. The next year they seemed much calmer with us and it was only during the breeding season that they had this pugnacious attitude toward us. And the only time I've ever really been bitten and that it hurt is when I need to check on hens sitting on their own eggs and protecting their nest, and again not all of my hens do that some will just put on the show and run as soon as you get too close.

We've raised Africans, American Buffs, Pilgrims, Embdens, Pomeranians and do still continue to raise all but the pilgrims keeping 15-25 geese total every year. The trouble making ganders were the pilgrim and an american buff. We did not get rid of the pilgrims because of his attitude but because the gander was crossing with our embdens which totally ruined our goslings for show for the next 4 years until we had finally gotten rid of every bird that carried his blood in them.

The best you will ever hear is that it just depends on the bird because like people no two are alike and all have a different personality and there is no personality that is distinctive to any breed. I've had quiet africans and loud buffs, it all just depends on the bird. All the answers you get on here are biased because no one's had the same experiences. The best way to find out is to just start out with a couple and see how it goes from there.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  7. 2ducky

2ducky Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    Stony Plain, AB
    Thank you guys for the feedback! When I say little girl, she is actually 16 years old. She's had these gesses before but were killed by a cougar, which since then been re-located. I've gotten a few leads up here as where to purchase some, suggesting Holderreads was a good idea, but they want them now, to raise some in the spring. Thanks again guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by