chinese just hatched - eyes better -now foot problem- suggestions?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by BC Herding Chick, Nov 20, 2010.

1. BC Herding Chick

BC Herding Chick New Egg

Oct 22, 2010
    I just hatched 3 baby chinese goslings in my incubator. My first geese to try and first to hatch. The first one seemed to be doing well, but now seems to have it's eyes closed all the time. Even when it's obviously awake. It's been out of it's egg about 30 hours. Is this normal? I've sprinkled some duck started crumble in the bottom of my brooder box, and have been periodically dipping their beaks in the water dish. They mostly seem to be doing well - except the eyes on the oldest one that seem to stay closed. (the other two are about 12 hours hatched and their eyes seem more open) Any hints would be great! They are quite the 'lookers' ... I'm used to baby call ducks... not sure that I'm ready to call these 'cute' yet, but they are a first for me, and very exciting.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have had ducklings like this that had dried membrane over their eyes. Is this a possibility?

3. BC Herding Chick

BC Herding Chick New Egg

Oct 22, 2010
    Thanks Bock, I'm not sure, but seems like I am seeing more 'eye' this morning. May have been new hatchling panic on my part. I do see that one of the others has a mis-shapen foot though. I'm worried about that. I don't know if it was from development or ?? It wan't to curl like a fist instead of splay. Is there any hope? Is there anything I can do? I may try to tape it 'splayed' and see if it will grow correctly? or is it probably a nerve thing? I love the babies. They are now getting fluffy and ... yes 'cute'.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Curling toes (feet) is usually an incubation problem, often caused from too low humidity during hatch. Google 'chick boot' and do that with your baby, it should straighten right out. But you have to do it when the baby is pretty young (under 3 days or so) or the foot will 'fix' in that position.

5. BC Herding Chick

BC Herding Chick New Egg

Oct 22, 2010
    Thanks I'll check it out and get to work on my 'chick boot'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by