1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chinese mountain black bone chicken usa breeder?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mariav87, Dec 23, 2013.

1. mariav87

mariav87 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    After a few minutes with Google, it seems this chicken is equivalent to what is referred to as "silkies" on BYC. I do not know if this is entirely true. Perhaps get your hands on a mature, black silkie and see if the skin between the feathers is black.

3. mariav87

Jul 26, 2013
    The picture in the link I posted doesn't look like silkie

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    SIlkies and a number of other breeds have black skin, bones, meat, organs--just about everything except fat. I'm not convinced the photo shows a taihe chicken; descriptions of it are more in line with silkies than normal appearing chickens. I'd try looking on feathersite, and then maybe googling. FWIW, most Asian groceries sell black boned chicken (silkie) in their meat department.

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/wuchi.htm seems to have a fair amount of information from a Chinese medicine viewpoint. Silkies, and other fibromelanotic chickens do have amino acid differences than non-fibromelanotic chickens. I was reading (or trying to) a highly detailed scientific journal article about the affects of Fm about a week ago.

5. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    This chicken breed is not a silkie. I have read about these birds...I think they are referred to as the Ferrari of chickens because their entire body is a deep black. This makes them extremely expensive...

I kid you not - I think there is a breeder in Florida trying to sell this all black bird for $2,500 a pair. Watch the link posted below and let me know if this is your bird.

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/rare-2-500-chicken-lamborghini-162815600.html

6. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    They're $5,000 a pair.

7. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I hadn't watched the video in some time...a friend e-mailed it to me because they know I keep chickens...it is kind of a running joke - crazy chicken man has become the equivalent of crazy cat lady haha. $2,500/5,000 - tons of money either way lol. Regardless, I believe this is the bird he was asking about, and he wanted a breeder in the United States, and if the breed is the same then this is it.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

10. mariav87

Jul 26, 2013
    So what exactly is the breed name of "mountain black bone chicken"?!

Are they really just alling ayam cemani mountain black chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by