Chinese Painted Quail (button) Nostril Problem!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hybridchucks, May 2, 2017.

1. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Hi, I have a very tame button quail male called Tiger, and he is about 5 years old, and he has had this weird nostril prob for a while! Take a look! What do you think is wrong, (its only one nostril)!!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG](on the right) nostril
    [​IMG]nostril
    [​IMG]nostril
    [​IMG]

2. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    The good side! [​IMG]

3. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Let me know what ya think! xx [​IMG]

4. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Does anybody know?

5. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Please can someone help!

6. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    I'm just starting out with quail so can't really help, but maybe describe it too as it's not overly clear from pics - to me it looks like it's larger than the other one with some sort of crusty stuff in it? How long has he had it? Did it look like this one morning or did it get progressively worse? These things might help someome else give you an answer x

7. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Thanks for replying, a year maybe more, he doesn't breath through it, it is completely blocked, sorry about pics i was in a rush! It is exactly how you describe it!

8. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    Do you have a vet you could see? I'm guessing he's otherwise well and happy?

9. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Yeah he is very happy, and it doesn't really affect him. I just wanted to know what it is. [​IMG]

10. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    So, did a quick Google search and seems it can be quite common with chickens, will see if I can put a link to another post on here, it's a chicken but it does talk about the possibility of it being infection/fungal/blockage so will give you some things to consider at least, and also treatment options for those things. On page one there is a link that take you to a description of how to unclog a nostril, although they talk on the thread about using coconut oil to soften it which I would probably try first if it was me b4 going the peroxide route.
    Maybe that would be a good first step (other than vet) and if the discharge/crust comes back then explore the cause as it would be clear there is more going on under the surface! You are lucky that he's so tame as I think it's probably going to take a lot of work and patience to work the blockage out, if that's what you try to do, with it being there so long :/ (something mentioned them getting calcified after a while) also you will be able to determine if picking it is causing pain more so than with an average untamed bird that would be distressed at being handled regardless.
    Hope that helps, and hopefully if there are risks involved applying the chicken info to quails then someone will jump in quick!
    Nearly forgot to add the link :D
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...king-nostrils-pics-posted-more-pics-15-and-16

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by