Chinese quail, question on white babies from non white parents.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by katagra, Sep 13, 2012.

1. katagra

katagra Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    I've had painted quail for about a year now, no white or pied. I've probably had 10 generations
    hatch since, most looked just like the parents. About 2 months ago I had 2 hatch that were
    blackfaced, pale colour and speckled. That was neat. Maybe a week after that I had two
    hatch that are kinda pale gray/silver/powder blue. I decided to keep those 2 together and let them
    breed. She lays pale brown/redish eggs with blue or green rings, really pretty.
    What has me questioning things, two of her eggs hatched into little yellow fuzzy babies,
    and now they're covered with white feathers. Does anybody know if that's typical,
    or do the powder blue birds start out white and change colour later?
    I haven't seen much about chinese quail breeding and genetics. Thanks.

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Chinese Blue Breasted "Button" or Painted quail are so mixed that it is almost impossible to get just one color from a pair. These little birds have been bred for years and the colors are not pure lines. That said you can get a mix of colors in each batch which is fine. Their true colors do not show for up to 10-12 weeks, some before but they can change.
    Now about that green or blue egg you may want to make sure her diet is correct and that she is getting enough calcium supplements, oyster shell or chicken shell crushed. It could be a sign of something not quite right in her diet although it is hard to tell just what it is. Anyway good luck and have fun with your buttons.[​IMG]

3. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Enjoy your Button quail[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by