Chinese Tallow Tree

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ellie, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Why do they call it a "chicken tree"? I know it is invasive in the Southeast. Most people seem to dislike them because of it's invasive ways where it can thrive.

Just wondering, because it may be a good tree for me to plant out in the middle of the field to give the chickens shade. I wonder if they eat stuff from it/

Ellie

2. hens@reddirthill

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Sapium sebiferum is listed by the USDA as an invasive species imported from China that crowds out native species and creates a homogenous floral area. Wikipedia says that its sap and decaying leaves are known to be toxic to other plants - I might worry about having it with your chickens.

Here's a link:
    http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=3079

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi, we've got a few tallow trees here.They will will get spread all over your place by wild birds.Baby trees will be everywhere,lol.
    Ther is a family of Pilieated woodpeckers that visit every year.As much as a pain that they are, they do benefit the wildlife.
    When they drop their seeds in the fall,the chickens eat the waxy covering on the seeds.They don't eat the seeds, from what I've noticed.

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    So, it doesn't hurt the chickens. Good.

Thank you,
    Ellie

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, never heard of it and dont think I've ever seen one, either.

6. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    We have those sorry Tallow Trees here in Texas. They are a real pain in the butt. The roots go all the way to China. Hence the name "Chinese Tallow Trees". The roots will get into your sewer system and tear it up. We had 12 of them on a lot where our single wide trailer house used to sit. The leaves turn yellow, orange and red in the Fall and drop all over the place. Those hulls will dig into your feet in the summer time and boy, does it hurt!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by