Chinnese Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by pipermark, Nov 26, 2007.

1. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    need some help, will Chinese Geese go broody or do you have to use an incubator?

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i know they will lay lots of eggs, but this is my first season with them. so i guess i'll find out in the spring. if you already have an incubator, well, i would just stick a few in anyway.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My Bella La Goosie was broody last spring. They are supposed to be good mothers.

[​IMG]

4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    that's not a chinese, that's one of those african something or others. the chinese are the white ones with the goofy bump on top of their beak/head. (the kind that chase you all around the yard)

5. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Our geese one toulouse and 2 embden didn't start laying till they were two and didn't figure out what to do and have live hatches till year 4 this coming year will be year 5.

I generally find eggs and take one each day till I have enough to incubate for goslings. I don't know that I want many... most folks around here don't care if they have mixed breeds. But I would love to have a emden gander... but I was stuck with a toulouse gander and the embden gooses. Every time I guess at the goslings at Attwoods I end up with a chinese and have to give it away. Maybe this year I can chose one properly.

Arklady

6. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Sorry, you are misinformed. [​IMG]
    Bella La Goosie is a brown Chinese.
    You are talking about African. I have one of those, too as well as a white chinese,a toulouse and a sebastopol.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:That is very much a Chinese. It's just a brown, whereas you more commonly see white ones. Just look at the neck on that thing. It is no African!

We 'fostered' a Chinese goose last year. She was so unlike all our others (Emdens, Pilgrims and Tufted Romans) that it makes sense they descend from different wild ancestors. The way they honk is just unmistakable and unrivaled on our farm for humor content. We would always sing to her "One of these geese is not like the other one, not like the other one...." And she would just honk and honk and honk back at us.

I have read they are excellent mothers and will sit on large clutches.

8. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    LOL, remember the old Maxwell House commercial where they sing along to the percolator?
    I sing
    "Bella Goose Goose
    Bella Bella Goose Goose" to that tune.
    ANd she honks right back. She knows her name and if we even just say it in conversation to each other, she "doinks" back! LOL

9. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Quote:That is very much a Chinese. It's just a brown, whereas you more commonly see white ones. Just look at the neck on that thing. It is no African!

We 'fostered' a Chinese goose last year. She was so unlike all our others (Emdens, Pilgrims and Tufted Romans) that it makes sense they descend from different wild ancestors. The way they honk is just unmistakable and unrivaled on our farm for humor content. We would always sing to her "One of these geese is not like the other one, not like the other one...." And she would just honk and honk and honk back at us.

I have read they are excellent mothers and will sit on large clutches.

Really? I've never seen a chinese like that. The only chinese ones i've seen are the white ones that are mean as hell. Mom and dad had a goose similar looking to that one but we were told it was an african of some sort, but now that I think about it, mom and dads had an orange beak.

10. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    oh, my gosh. i love your song. i may steal it for my geese. i have actually (yes it's true) been trying to think of a song for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by