Chip drop or sand?

ImAngel

Songster
16 Years
Jul 3, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Its very hot here in phx az. I have an enclosed run of 9 feet wide by 14 feet long (temp, clearing enough room for next year to be longer) I had decided I would use construction sand in the coop and run but Im worried how hot that would get. After reading tons of stuff on different places I also see wood chips from tree trimmer would be good. I have a giant pile of wood chips from chip drop Ill never get to the bottom of. ? Will sand be to hot in the coop and run? Would you choose sand in the coop and chip drop wood in run? They have a mister that I turn on in afternoon that does leave moisture in the dirt that is there that they seem to enjoy as well. Leave dirt in run and sand in coop?
I feel like I am over thinking everything.

Personally I like the chips…and you already have them on site. Over time you’ll be able to use the spent bedding material to improve your desert soil on the property that I assume lacks organic content currently, a win-win if you like plants too. Will decompose with insect assistance and chickens can forage in it, etc.

Personally I like the chips…and you already have them on site. Over time you’ll be able to use the spent bedding material to improve your desert soil on the property that I assume lacks organic content currently, a win-win if you like plants too. Will decompose with insect assistance and chickens can forage in it, etc.
Thank you so much

Leave dirt in run and sand in coop?
I feel like I am over thinking everything.
Might depend on how you want to manage the manure.
You can, and should, sift poops out of sand, in your dry climate maybe not even too often but they won't decompose in sand.

Might depend on how you want to manage the manure.
You can, and should, sift poops out of sand, in your dry climate maybe not even too often but they won't decompose in sand.
I have a long handle metal scooper in my chewy cart, I'm more concerned with it getting and holding heat. I really dislike the pine shavings, so messy. My chicken house is a 10x10 tuff shed that I emptied out for my chickens :)

Back
Top Bottom