Chip in beak...blue kote ok?

MuranoFarms

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Boyers, Pa
I have a silkie that somehow chipped the very end of her beak. Of course when I saw it the others were pecking at it, so I brought her in and cleaned her up. Has anyone ever used blue kote that close to the eyes/nostrils? The bleeding seems to be stopping, but I just know if I don't bluekote it they will open it back up shortly. Logically it sounds like the right thing to do, I'm just hoping somebody has some experience with this type of injury.

Just for background, she was in a wire lined run. Her beak is still beak shaped, it just seems like she ripped a little bit of the top layer off the end of it. She doesn't appear to be in pain or have any other injury.

Thanks!

can you put on a picture? my friend once had a similar thing happen to her rooster while we were at a fair and the bleeding stopped pretty quickly- the bird was fine. i'd suggest you leave it alone if it's not bleeding anymore...

This has not happened to one of our chickens but a parrot that we had once. What we did was put some styptic power on it to stop the bleeding and then the beak grew back on its own. Peaks are like fingernails. You can get the styptic powder at most pet stores or even at the Drug store maybe in pencil form but it can be crushed and used the same.

Hope that helps

This spring I had a bird with a beak that was torn on the top and partially ripped at the tip. I cleaned it with saline solution. It's safer than anything else, that close to the nostrils. Once it was cleaned, stopped any bleeding and daubed with iodine. After that I checked it once a day, to be sure it wasn't getting infected.

She needed soft foods until she was able to use her beak again. I would mix her crumbles with water or yogurt, to make a soft mash, putting it into a deep dish so her beak, which was sensitive, wouldn't hit against the dish. Twice a day, she'd eat the wet mash, inside our house where the other birds couldn't see. She wasn't good at competing with them, when her beak was so sensitive. It was about a week before she was, once again, able to pick up dry feed on her own.

Thank you! I just remembered that this is the one that had the curved beak. It seemed like it pointed down a bit too much and I'm guessing she just broke it off somehow. The bleeding has stopped and I put her in with the rest for bed (but not till after dark) I'll probably bring her back in tomorrow morning though....just in case. I don't want the others pecking at it.

Back
Top Bottom