1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chipmunk Chick - What Breed Might She Be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shellgrl, Apr 2, 2012.

1. shellgrl

shellgrl New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Maine
    Bought my first chicks this weekend and one is colored like a little chipmunk - she came from a "Barnyard Mix", but the guy selling her said she could be Dutch? Wondering if she might be an Easter Egger? Doesn't really matter, but if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them!

[​IMG]

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Maybe speckled sussex?

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    There are several breeds that have the chipmunk coloration as chicks so we'll need a bit more information to narrown it down. What color legs does she have? Is she a bantam or large fowl? Dutch are true bantams and don't have a large fowl counter part.

4. ScottLovelandCO

ScottLovelandCO Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Loveland, CO
    My Coop
    The head looks like my Welsummer girls. Not sure about the rest though.

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

easter eggers have beards,, she could be anything from a game chick a SS, many many. then throw in the bantam and you add many more she could be.. and welcome fellow mainer and your gonna have fun here on BYC
    [​IMG]

Jim

6. shellgrl

shellgrl New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the replies...I believe she is large fowl and her legs are kind of a pinkish orange color. Here's another photo that shows moer of her back - can't really see her legs though. Maybe I can take a better one tonight. No matter what breed, I just think she's so pretty!

7. shellgrl

shellgrl New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Maine
    I do believe that my chipmunk chick is a Welsummer! Now that she's 12 weeks, her beautiful feathers have come in...I read that Welsummers do have Dutch origins, so it all seems to fit. Can't wait to see what color her eggs are!

[​IMG]

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

she looks like a game hen to me

9. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I thought easter eggers do not have beards but ameraucanas do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by