Chipmunk Marans???

Joca13

Chirping
Apr 26, 2023
Portugal
Hi everyone,
I have a small FBCM flock - 1 roo and 3 hens.
About 3 weeks ago I exchange Marans eggs with another breeder to incorporate some new blood in the flock.

Recently I got a call from said breeder, complaining that 2 of the 20 eggs, hatched completely white chicks. With feathered feets and just like the "normal" BCM chick but white.

I understand something about genetics and from what I know, this is possible right? Most White Marans are white recessive, so it is possible that my BCM flock gives out white Marans.

On the other hand, I incubated 4 eggs from this breeder Marans flock. I saw the flock and it was separated from the other chickens. So I was completely confused when 3 chicks with the usual Marans colour hatched and then the other has a chipmunk style coloration (foto attached). Is it even possible? The only colour I see that hatches with chipmunk pattern is the Golden Salmon and I'm pretty sure that it's not this colour.

Can somebody shed a light in this?

Attachments

• IMG_20230427_073125.jpg
    IMG_20230427_073125.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230427_073232.jpg
    IMG_20230427_073232.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 20
I thought about that but the breeds were separated. And the other breeds were Buff Orpington and Maline. I think neither cross gives out this kind of pattern.

Found this thread... three hatches ago I got a white sport (not splash) from some BCM eggs I got from a reputable breeder. So I knew about the recessive white, but, it also looks like recessive genes can also express wheaten and wild.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/recessive-white-black-copper-maran.1176152/

At first I thought it was a Welsummer, which would be easy to explain since mixing up Welsummer and Marans eggs could happen. But saw the feathered legs!

It's a head scratcher with all the recessive genes being expressed!

Would love to see what the chipmunk chick looks like in a couple months- some kind of duckwing?!

Found this thread... three hatches ago I got a white sport (not splash) from some BCM eggs I got from a reputable breeder. So I knew about the recessive white, but, it also looks like recessive genes can also express wheaten and wild.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/recessive-white-black-copper-maran.1176152/

At first I thought it was a Welsummer, which would be easy to explain since mixing up Welsummer and Marans eggs could happen. But saw the feathered legs!

It's a head scratcher with all the recessive genes being expressed!

Would love to see what the chipmunk chick looks like in a couple months- some kind of duckwing?!
Considering that post and some research in the Marans club pages, this chipmunk pattern would correspond to a wild type recessive gene (e+/e+), related to the original "Bankiva" fowl, that in the Marans correspond to the Golden Salmon variety. So maybe I was wrong and it is actually a recessive Golden Salmon chick. Hopefully a hen 🤞.

The breeder from where the eggs came said that he has hatched hundreds of eggs from this same flock and it is the first time that he see's a chick with this color.

Now I'm really curious to see how it will feather as an adult.

Ea
Considering that post and some research in the Marans club pages, this chipmunk pattern would correspond to a wild type recessive gene (e+/e+), related to the original "Bankiva" fowl, that in the Marans correspond to the Golden Salmon variety. So maybe I was wrong and it is actually a recessive Golden Salmon chick. Hopefully a hen 🤞.

The breeder from where the eggs came said that he has hatched hundreds of eggs from this same flock and it is the first time that he see's a chick with this color.

Now I'm really curious to see how it will feather as an adult.
Eating lunch and learning... found this thread as well- super informative and has language on Salmon, wild, duckwing...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/golden-salmon-marans.910586/

And if you haven't already found this resource- here's a color genetics calculator for known crosses. Super fun to tinker with!

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

Back
Top Bottom