Chipmunks? And Banties?

Tikkijane

Crowing
9 Years
What other breeds besides EEs have chicks that look like chipmunks? I'm going to be getting more chicks
wee.gif
from TSC and we all know how that goes- they have no idea what they are. The last batch, they also had some banties that looked like EE chicks, but those, of course, they also have no idea. I could have sworn they had what looked like a Blue Andi banty, too?? Kinda hoping I'll be able to tell the difference between a cochin banty and a silkie (I mean, will the skin difference be noticable as chicks?).....

Thanks, all!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I bought a speckled sussex yesterday (
thumbsup.gif
) that looks just like a chipmunk. The feed store also had brown leghorns and easter eggers that were pretty chipmunkey.

Hope that helps.

--Nikki

and a smiley from my daughter
cool.png

I bought a speckled sussex yesterday (
thumbsup.gif
) that looks just like a chipmunk. The feed store also had brown leghorns and easter eggers that were pretty chipmunkey.

Hope that helps.

--Nikki

and a smiley from my daughter
cool.png

big_smile.png
I don't suppose you happen to have any pictures? They had some that were pretty big compared to the other chicks (like the ones they called "reds"). I'm just really trying to get just EEs so I can get some more green/blue eggs! I'm already down one, because I have an EE that I'm thinking might be laying a brown egg (BOO!), so it'd be nice to get some that I knew were EEs. *sigh* I wonder if I'm asking too much.....

game birds... phoenix... there are several actually.

*nods* I'm trying to figure out if I'll reasonably be able to tell the difference because TSC is not known for telling you right, and the last person I talked to said they had no way of knowing what they were. I'm pretty sure there's got to be something on the shipping boxes, but shoot. *sigh* I really want more green eggs, lol, and I want some silkies!
big_smile.png

EE's don't always look like chipmunks, only some. Welsummers look like chipmunks always.

All of mine last year looked like chipmunks, fwiw, but I've got one that ended up laying a brown egg. And, where I got them only ordered EEs, whereas TCS never knows what they actually have.........
hu.gif
I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons of getting the ones from TCS (which could mean silkies) or getting the others from the place that has known breeds. Sheesh. LOL.

I've never gotten chicks through TSC before. My EE did look like a chipmunk as a chick, but I have a friend who got about 10 breeder EE's last year and each of them looked very different as chicks. This spring I am ordering a Welsummer and an EE in my batch of bantams and I was worried about trying to distinguish which one is which. Then I remembered that EE's are very likely to have green legs, and the other breeds will not. So I would suggest looking at the legs if you can if you decide to go the TSC route. Also you can try to tell the silkes and cochins apart by looking to see if they are starting to have a raised crest. The silkies should have those to my knowledge, but I am less familiar with this. Somebody correct me if I am wrong please.

I've never gotten chicks through TSC before. My EE did look like a chipmunk as a chick, but I have a friend who got about 10 breeder EE's last year and each of them looked very different as chicks. This spring I am ordering a Welsummer and an EE in my batch of bantams and I was worried about trying to distinguish which one is which. Then I remembered that EE's are very likely to have green legs, and the other breeds will not. So I would suggest looking at the legs if you can if you decide to go the TSC route. Also you can try to tell the silkes and cochins apart by looking to see if they are starting to have a raised crest. The silkies should have those to my knowledge, but I am less familiar with this. Somebody correct me if I am wrong please.

Afaik, they will always have the slate/greeny legs. And if that's the only breed that looks like a chipmunk *and* has the colored legs, I might be ok. I don't know that they will let me get in there and pick them up, though. I think with the silkies, if they are white, they should have the teal beak, but since I don't have any, I'm also not real familiar with them as day old chicks, either. I mean, I'm not sure they will let me pick them up and count toes (since I'm pretty sure cochins only have 4) and check skin color, lol. Although, maybe the one guy will since he already knows me..... it just feels like a total crap shoot since they never know what they'll be getting and then they can't even tell you what they are......
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom